Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support reactions randomly reversing

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
649 Views, 7 Replies

Support reactions randomly reversing

Hi,

I've created a very simple diaphragm that I'm trying to represent a large rectangular roof on a pitch of about 8 degrees. I've been given a whole lot of wind loads to a completely separate grid system to ours and I want to use a finite element mesh to distribute these loads to a support system that I've defined (set of nodes).

I've modelled a dummy 100mm thick concrete slab (with no self weight case) and added a whole bunch of separate wind cases. 

When I observe the reactions, I make sense of 90% of them as just a tributary area x normal force to get the vertical component (as it's at 10 deg pitch). For the remaining 10% (seems to be at one of the edges for about 3 to 4 panels, the loading magnitude seems correct although the reaction is in the same direction as the applied force!?? Which is obviously impossible. 

Before you ask if there is a large load in the central bays and light at the ends (generating an uplift) then the answer is No. The loading is quite large at the ends comparitevely. 

When I observe deflections, the maps seem fine as well and the deflection is occuring in the direction you'd expect.

My panel directions are all identical as well.

Has anyone seen this before?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Anonymous

Any ignored instability?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Not at all. Runs like a dream.

Message 4 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski

Could you attach the file and indicate support node numbers and load cases to investigate please ?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Sure...

There are 32 wind load cases and they all seem to bring up similar results (reversed reaction) for nodes at the edge such as 8303, 8304, 8305 etc. The rest you can probably see visually.

Loads were input from a spreadsheet and pasted as there are so many of them.

The file is 50MB and I can only compress to 25. Do you have an email and I can westransfer it to you?

Thanks.

Message 6 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski

Is the load direction as intended?

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Sure is. All load directions are as intended.

If you look at load case 23 at the nodes I've specified, you will see something funny going on.

Regards,

Message 8 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski

After running some tests my assumption is that the issue is caused by the fact that the directions of local Zs of surface elements for panels where you can see the wrong reactions are reversed comparing to the definition of local Zs of these panels themselves. The solution I found is to run local meshing for them and then calculate the model again as shown on this movie:

https://screencast.autodesk.com/main/details/64cb9e1e-70b0-44bf-88cb-e223439eb5c0

If you open your file on Robot 2015 the program will automatically correct this issue changing and change the status of the results to out of date.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report