Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stress Analysis Direction

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
byron86
1027 Views, 3 Replies

Stress Analysis Direction

Hi I am quite confused in interpreting the stress direction in solid stresses.

Direction XY, what direction is that? does that mean the new X axis is in the direction of τxy?

Some assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Jade_Cereno
in reply to: byron86

Are you talking about Panel Stresses?

directions are local panel directions. xy are the torsional stresses

MIT-BsCE
Message 3 of 4
byron86
in reply to: Jade_Cereno

Hi sorry I was not clear, from the model below.. its a volumetric solid. Column is 1x1 section at a height of 10m, a load is applied to the top of 1000KN.  So my greatest stresses I would expect is to be acting in the global y direction thus 60 Mpa, determining my moments from beam theory as is approximately 10000KNm, so Syy is the correct stress.  The main stress is therefore Syy, however to me Syy locally is acting in the global z direction.  

So im confused how Direction XY allows you to determine your local x axis, is that a plane or directed like similarly to Tau XY.

In summary im finding ity difficult interpreting which directions the stress are going.  In this example I know Syy must be acting in tension and must be in the global Y direction, but in more difficult cases I get quite confused.

Thanks for the replies and help in advance.

Message 4 of 4
byron86
in reply to: byron86

Hello, Some assistance would be much appreciated.

I know in the help section it says " the direction is defined by entering any vector defining the main direction when selecting the results for surface FE" . So yes it uses Txy (basically the global y direction) as the new X axis? 

As shown in the example, robot shows the same local coordinate system, however I would expect the main stress to be direction SXX.. 

Again any help is much appreciated

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report