Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Volumetric Moments

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
byron86
330 Views, 9 Replies

Strange Volumetric Moments

I am newish to robot and am testing some scenarios.  I have created a volumetric 1x1 concrete column with a height of 10m.  There is an edge load of 1000KNm/m applied at the top.  The stresses calculated are quite strange at a max of 20Mpa, according to beam theory the corresponding moments are approximately 3050KNm, while I am expecting the moments to be in the range of 10 000KNm with a deviation of maybe 10-15%.  But 3000KNm seems incorrect and very low.

Is my theory correct, any possible reasons for this variation??

Regards Byron

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: byron86

File please

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 10
byron86
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

I have determined the error. My mesh arrangement was poor and I thought I was improving the mesh using mesh refinement, however it was only refining the mesh in the x and z direction. The refinement of the mesh in the y direction needed to be established in the very first step when I extruded the shape and a division number was specified.

Is there a way to refine the system in the y direction using mesh refinement.

Thanks again
Message 4 of 10
Rafal.Gaweda

It depends how you modeled it.
Please send me your model.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 5 of 10
byron86
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

My apologies, heres the file.

Thanks again

Message 6 of 10
Rafal.Gaweda

extrude.jpg

Then remesh object

Rafal Gaweda
Message 7 of 10
byron86

Perfect.   Thank You.

An additional question, shouldnt I have recieved mesh warnings considering the massive differnce in moments determined.  

Message 8 of 10
Rafal.Gaweda

No way.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 9 of 10
byron86

Using the mesh arrangement as above I would get a max stress of 65Mpa and changing it dimensions of 0.5x0.5 changes it to 50 Mpa. The corresponding moments varies from 10800KNm to 8500KNm respectively.

So no warnings will be given, rather knowledge of finite meshing rules must be strictly obeyed.

Again thanks for the help.

Message 10 of 10
Rafal.Gaweda

Exactly .

Rafal Gaweda

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report