Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange deflecion output

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
solidmedia
236 Views, 6 Replies

Strange deflecion output

Hello - I've been working on a fairly simple steel framed model. RSA doesn't report any errors or unstabilities when it runs - but I am getting some very strange deflected shape outputs (even under self-weight). 

I've modelled cross bracing to act as a diaphragm for lateral loads, and gravity loads are applied through one-way cladding elements.

Is there some fundamental error within this model that I have not been able to debug? 

Edit: I am using RSA2015 with SP2

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
solidmedia
in reply to: solidmedia

deflections.jpg

Message 3 of 7

Have you attached the "right" model?

deformation.png

Artur Kosakowski
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I just double checked - I have sent the problematic file. 

The deflections look correct for me under 'Exact deformation for bars' - what does it look like for you under 'Deformation'?

deflections capture 2.JPG

Message 5 of 7

deformation1.png

Attach the model with results saved with the 'problematic' results displayed as well as make the screen capture with the "complete" Robot viewer.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 7

The file has been saved after running the calculations - hopefully the results are in the file. If not, is there a procedure to ensure this happens?

I haven't zipped the file this time - using 4shared instead.

http://www.4shared.com/file/sMR7YOPcce/Roof_and_6th_floor__reframe_en.html

Thanks!

deflections capture 3.JPG

Message 7 of 7

The models (files) are different which can be seen when y e.g. check the total value of reactions for case 1 which explains why there is the difference between 'mine' and 'yours' results. The reason for the difference is in the assumption of the way the deformation diagram is created. 

Please check: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Robot-Structural-Analysis/Exact-deformation-for-bars/m-p/4364810 (message 4). 

You can also try to select all bars and then generate additional nodes in their centers. After calculating the model you will have 4 mm for deformation too.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report