Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stiffeners in ASD 1989 9th Edition

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
CTuser1
229 Views, 3 Replies

Stiffeners in ASD 1989 9th Edition

I am busy designing a structure to AISC ASD 9th Edition at the Clients request. I need to add stiffeners to some of the beams but my understanding is that Robot does not allow you to do this for this code. Is this correct? And if so, what would be the best way to effectively model the beam with stiffeners, either through using combined sections or effective section properties?

Thanks 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: CTuser1

You can try to use ANSI/AISC 360-05 and select ASD instead and define positions of stiffeners.

st1.png

st2.jpg

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 4
CTuser1
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Thanks for the reply. 

My problem is that we are carrying out an analysis on an existing structure which was originally designed to ASD 1989 so the Client is insisting that we use that code for comparison purposes. Is there any other way to represent the stiffners?

Message 4 of 4
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: CTuser1

The point is that you should use different verification formulas. The change in the model geometry will not influence them. I can't see any solution but manual verification of capacities of beams with stiffeners.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report