Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STEEL DESIGN - INSTABLE SECTION - SLENDERNESS - Beam design under ULS

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
zameerajmal
1275 Views, 5 Replies

STEEL DESIGN - INSTABLE SECTION - SLENDERNESS - Beam design under ULS

Hello,

I have generated 3D frame using RSA 2013 professional. When i verify the rafter beams under ultimate limit state, the results shown are instable. And when optimized under ULTIMATE it provides very large dimension beams. whereas when i used SERVICEABILITY METHOD, it is fine. 

Please help me, how to verify beams in 3D generator. 

Please find attached 3D design file

Kind regards,

Ajmal

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
zameerajmal
in reply to: zameerajmal

I ain't able to attach rsa file, please help me

find result snaps for reference

why can't i design beam under ULS 

Message 3 of 6

ULS and SLS check are two different verifications,. As far as I can see the problem you have got is the exceeded slenderness limit. Looking at the buckling Z part you can see that unrestrained buckling length for 140 section is over 14m which way  too long weak the axes if this section. Have you set the buckling parameters correctly?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 4 of 6
zameerajmal
in reply to: zameerajmal

I haven't set the paramters. I am a learner, student. how to set, will you please help me

Thanks

Ajmal

Message 5 of 6

The beam length is 7.11 m

bay width is 14 m

Message 6 of 6

Assuming it is a 2 span beam then either you set buckling Z (and LTB) coefficients as 0.5L or you should define an intermediate restrain at this point and then set these coefficients as 1.0L  for each of the spans.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report