Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steel design compoud sections

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
eusmor
1001 Views, 10 Replies

Steel design compoud sections

Hello

-          I was defined news compound sections in this way:

Sections/new sections/compound,

From database AISC 13.2

Family L

Section L 3x2.5x0.25 (exemple)

Spacing d= 10mm

Two angles with shorter legs back to back

-          Add with new label

-          Assign to bar

-          Run analyse

-          In the design module I have this message “Bar 325 have not been calculate because they are composed of sections not available in the current code”

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: eusmor

What is the selected design code?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 11
eusmor
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

S16-09

Thamks

Message 4 of 11
Artur.Kosakowski

Assuming that this section is intended to work as a solid one you can create it in the Section Builder module of Robot and save it to the user database selectiong the section type you want to treat it like for code checking (e.g. T shape).

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 11
eusmor

From the same data base (AISC 13.2) there are (for example) double Unequal Angles Short Legs Back to Back DLS 3x2.5x0.31 and the code do the design.

From database CISC9 there are double Unequal Angles Short Legs Back to Back (10 mm spacing) LLSC 76X64X6.4 and the code do the design also.

The problem is I have 4452 bars to change and many different sections! There aren’t another solution?

Why it can’t check compound sections? And why we have the possibility to make compound sections and program doesn’t check it?

Thanks,

Message 6 of 11
Artur.Kosakowski

The sections from the databases are assumed as solids (including the double angles with spacings) whereas the compound section definition is primarily intended for sections that are build from of more than one separate 'parts connected with battens or diagonals certain points along bar length. They can be code checked  (including specific provisions for such section types) with selected steel design codes (e.g. EC3).

If you define the double L 3x2.5x0.25 with no spacing (solid) using the compound section definition and pressing the weld (triangle) symbol next to the spacing field the section will be checked. Assuming that the double L sections in your model are under axial force and unidirectional bending in the Z direction you can redefine them like that which should have no influence their code verification.

In addition I have added the request for support of compound L sections with spacing in the same way as the standard LLSC are for S16 code to the wish list.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 11
eusmor

Please see PDF in attachment, two parameters Ay and Az are reversed but d is the same (63.5 mm)

Message 8 of 11
Artur.Kosakowski

Please select these two bars and save them as a substructures (make sure both models have been calculated before). Then attach these files. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 11
eusmor

Here they are.

Thanks,

Message 10 of 11
Artur.Kosakowski

Thank you for the files. As far as I can see Az and Ay are replaced for shorter legs back to back.  I have asked the development team to look at this situation.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 11 of 11

Thank you for the files. As far as I can see Az and Ay are replaced for shorter legs back to back.  I have asked the development team to look at this situation.

Corrected in Robot 2015.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums