Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steel connections

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
ali-15-04-1993
1493 Views, 9 Replies

Steel connections

Hey guys i want to make a connection like in the attached file as a column beam connection. However i can't find the right type in the steel design connections. Also i want it to be subjected to a shear of 270 kN and nothing else. How is it possible?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi,

Option number 1, create your own spreadsheet with all the checks for connection(bolt brake, flange checks, reduced area of cross section....and so on. Then, link this spreadsheet with robot via octopus and you have solved your issue.

Option number two, make your own model by shell element. In this way you can check everything.

Pay attention to your pic, the joint have only one plate that connect the beams with the column. Usually I use two plates with notch in the lower flange of the beam.

Greetings

PasProStudio

www.pasquiniprogetti.eu

Structural + Detailing engineers
Message 3 of 10

Option3: Replace the tube with an I section on a short part of the column where the beam is located. This should allow you to design the shear plate, its welds as well as the bolts.

option 3.png

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 4 of 10

Sorry i didn't specify my question. I need to design a fin plate on a column made of HEB 300 and Beam of HEM 300 subjected to 270 kN shear. ( see atached file)

Message 5 of 10

OMG,

Follow the suggestions of the previous Artur's post, this is a standard connection, please do some training.

Greetings

PasProStudio

www.pasquiniprogetti.eu

Structural + Detailing engineers
Message 6 of 10
Tuctas
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

+1 for Artur, this is the way i also use in such cases, but be carefull because actually the shear force acting at the beam's end causes a moment at the centerline of the column (if the connection is modeled as pinned) because of the deistance of the c.m of the column's section and the point that the shear is transfered... This of course also happens in case of not using circular or tubular columns.     

Message 7 of 10
belrefai

belrefai_0-1648051604061.png

Artur can robot generate connection between I beam and box section ?

Message 8 of 10
belrefai

belrefai_1-1648051647488.png

@Artur.Kosakowski can robot do connection between i beam and box section 

Message 9 of 10
Krzysztof_Wasik
in reply to: belrefai

HI @belrefai 

This type of connection is not supported.

Refer to Steel connection types in Robot

Krzysztof Wasik
Message 10 of 10
belrefai
in reply to: ali-15-04-1993

thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report