Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steel Connection Design

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
SteveG021
1086 Views, 6 Replies

Steel Connection Design

Hi Rafael, 

I am busy learning the steel connection design section. We recently designed a truss structure in RSA but performed the steel connection design using Excel spreadsheet’s and in the future we would like to do the steel connections in RSA.

The model is attached but i am having issues with the connection design. 

I am able to design the foundation and simple connections where there are only two members intercepting a single node. 

My question is how to deal with a connection with more than two members intersecting? 

I get the following error:

"Incorrect selection or geometry of connections"

Please can you take a look at the model and advise. 

Would offsetting some of the members help?

Thanks

Steve 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

My assumption is that you would like to create a connection type as on the picture below. If this is true, then channels are not supported.

tube connection with channels.png

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 7

Alright.

But i was also looking at the node intersections where there are three or more members interesecting at the same node.

For instance where the cross bracing, column and beams intersect. How would you design such a connection?

Also when you have a column and two horizntal beams connecting at right angles?

Thanks

Steve

Message 4 of 7

Could you mark the intended bar selection on the model?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 7

Capture.PNG

You can design each connection individually but i am concerned that all that loads should be taken into account when designing the connection.

Regards

Steve

Message 6 of 7

The Steel Connection module is not capable of recognizing such complex connection type. In such case you may want to model this connection as panels and check its behavior in details as suggested in some posts by 

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 7

[cid:image001.png@01D0000A.1E846350]

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums