Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steel connection design usability

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
GabrieleNovembri1027
1147 Views, 3 Replies

Steel connection design usability

Hi All

I'm working on a large steel structure and I have a problem that is making me waste a lot of time designing the columns connections.

1. Does not seem possible to give the same settings simultaneously to all the connections. For each column I have to repeat all the settings (eg plates, bolts, struts, etc..)
  2. if I decide to change any characteristic of the structure working on connections it seems I have to recalculate the whole structure in order to proceed with the connections work. It seems not possible to change the properties of the connection without redo structure analysis. This wastes a lot of time.

These two problems make the calculation of the connections of the really difficult to use. No designer, I think, would design a structure with several hundreds of columns with hundreds of different connection.

In the same time it is important to ensure that a connection is sufficient to support the worst stress in the column due to the capacity design requirement of building codes.

From this point of view, the possibility to group items by geometry given in concrete structure elements module seems in many cases, better and more useful.

Due to the size of the structure and variability of stress I was trying to design all connection, order them by the rate of work and then optimize the groups with similar rates. It does not seem possible.

I am trying to find a walk around to the problem. I have seen that Robot starts with some setting by default and so:

1. The default settings are hardcoded or there is a template file I can change in order to have, by default, the setting I whish ?
  2. there is nothing I can do in order to speed up the process ?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

1. Does not seem possible to give the same settings simultaneously to all the connections. For each column I have to repeat all the settings (eg plates, bolts, struts, etc..)

Within the existing possibilities of Robot you can save the parameters (geometry) of a connection and use this settings for another one or you can copy the connection from one location to number of others as shown on the attached pictures.

2. if I decide to change any characteristic of the structure working on connections it seems I have to recalculate the whole structure in order to proceed with the connections work. It seems not possible to change the properties of the connection without redo structure analysis. This wastes a lot of time.

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly. My assumption is that there is no point to work with the connection that originates from the model (assuming that you want to use the forces calculated for this model) if you don't have these forces yet or they are outdated. If you want to run separate analysis of a connection you can create a new one that is not 'linked' with the model with the geometer that originates from the connection 'linked' with the model (save as > open).

These two problems make the calculation of the connections of the really difficult to use. No designer, I think, would design a structure with several hundreds of columns with hundreds of different connection.

In the same time it is important to ensure that a connection is sufficient to support the worst stress in the column due to the capacity design requirement of building codes.

From this point of view, the possibility to group items by geometry given in concrete structure elements module seems in many cases, better and more useful.

Due to the size of the structure and variability of stress I was trying to design all connection, order them by the rate of work and then optimize the groups with similar rates. It does not seem possible.

I am trying to find a walk around to the problem. I have seen that Robot starts with some setting by default and so:

1. The default settings are hardcoded or there is a template file I can change in order to have, by default, the setting I whish ?

You can save several typical connection definitions and use them for a new project.

2. there is nothing I can do in order to speed up the process ?

The proposed solution could be:

1. Create connections that you want to treat as a group based on selection of appropriate nodes/bars on the model

2. Verify them and determine the most heavily loaded one(s)

3. Adjust its (their) geometry till the final shape is found

4. Delete all other connections defined

5. Copy the final connection to these locations again

6. Verify each of them to make sure they are OK.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 4

Hi Artur,

First of all Thanks for your interest. I agree with the suggested workflow. It works fine despite the fact you have to create copy delete connection. For a big number of connection it may be confusing.

Please consider the possibility of implementing, in the future, a mechanism similar to concrete reinforcement module in which you can group items based on the geometry (In other words see the picture).
After all, normally, is more productive manage drawings of connections with the same geometry as a family, but check all connections one by one against stress.

Thanks

Cattura.PNG

Message 4 of 4

does this feature figure now in the Robot 2015 or 2016 version ???

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums