Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Space Frame Design

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
a.williams17
3338 Views, 11 Replies

Space Frame Design

Hi,

I am doing my dissertation on space frames and I need to create one in Robot Structural Analysis, any general tips would be greatly appreciated!

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: a.williams17
Message 3 of 12
a.williams17
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

From what I see, it isn't possible to design space frame structures with Robot Structural Analysis, is this correct or are there ways?

Message 4 of 12

Hi,

What kind of space frame do you need and which Analysis type you have to do?

Robot can do many different type of analysis and geometry, it depend about your needed.

Greetings

PasProStudio

www.pasquiniprogetti.eu

Structural + Detailing engineers
Message 5 of 12

I'm just going to do a simple space frame like this one:

http://www.cowleytimberwork.co.uk/Final%20Images%20GIFs%20only/spaceframe3.jpg

And what basic analysis types can I do?

Message 6 of 12

Hi a.williams17,

in 2005 I made one of my first space frame design in robot and the result is this:

GG.bmp

GG-001.jpg

GG-003.JPG

The space between the RC column is 45 meters in each direction, the global surface of the space frame roof is 112x112 m (only 9 columns). With Robot I've optimized the pipe sections and I've studied the connection plates. I made also a global buckling Analysis. This roof is seismically isolated on the top of the rc columns and it was "tested" during the earthquake of "L'Aquila" in 2009 with excellent results: THE ONLY BUILDING WITH NO DAMAGE IN ITS ZONE.

Well, after my brief description, my answer is absolutely yes.

Good luck and post your model images in the forum.

Greetings

PasProStudio

www.pasquiniprogetti.eu

Message 7 of 12

Great job Smiley Happy

Artur Kosakowski
Message 8 of 12

That looks amazing and is exactly what I wanted to do! Do you have any of the files from back then? I don't know how to make pipe sections within Robot, so any tips would be amazing!

Message 9 of 12

So for actually designing the space frame components, would I design it in another software an import it in or is there ways of designing it within Robot?

Message 10 of 12
a.williams17

Can the connections be designed in Robot or should these be designed seperately?

Message 11 of 12

It depend by the connection type, in my case I've studied separately with fem model, loaded by eneloped axial force extracted from the master model.

Greetings

PasProStudio

www.pasquiniprogetti.eu

Message 12 of 12

To be honest, any connector type will do as long as I keep it constant throughout the optimisation. How would I go about designing the connector?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report