Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

South African Rebar

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
shaahid.hansa
1180 Views, 5 Replies

South African Rebar

Good day

I have a trial version of Autodesk Robot 2012 Professional. I am having problems with accessing the soth african rebar database. I set it in the job preferences, but when i perfom the calculations it seems to spit out british shape codes. I there any way around this?

Warm regards

Shaahid

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

As in Robot there is no South African RC code available so I assume that you set BS instead. The selection of the design code drives bar code shapes therefore steel grades, diameters etc. will be as defined in the South African reinforcement bar database but code shapes will match BS.

Perhaps the solution offered by Prokon is something you could have a look at

http://www.prokon.com/structural/robotlink

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 6

Yes this is exactly the case, british design code and thus british shape codes. If I export this british schedule to autodesk structural detailing, is there any way to change the schedule type in the job preferences there. My default template is South African: RBCR 027.  

Message 4 of 6

The prokon - robot link is not a good suggestion as i would need to purchase robot and the prokon link and the prokon modules. However if i just purchase the concrete modules from prokon it would be much cheaper. We want to move from prokon to robot, the steel design works perfect with the european codes, we just need to find a way around the concrete design.

Message 5 of 6

The link from Robot to ASD is based on the assumption that the design code selected in Robot governed the template of ASD so the rebars in ASD will have BS code shapes too.

There is one solution that you could adopt but it requires having Revit Structure and Revit Extensions installed. The proposed solution would be:

1. Create the model of a structure in Robot

2. Calculate it and design reinforcement for beams and column

3. Save model in Robot

4. Export model to Revit Structure including reinforcement designed in Robot (as Revit do not have bar code shapes this information is 'lost')

5. Use Revit Extensions to generate drawings in ASD Reinforcement having RBCR-027.dwt as the default. ASD will match shapes of rebars with code shapes according to the code set in its default template.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 6

Artur and Shaahid,

I have another suggestion without having to export to Revit (sometime its takes a lot of time to export from Robot with all calculalted rebar).

My suggestion is: Open the RBCR 027.dwt in ASD and save it with the same name of the UK template. Therefore, when you export from Robot to ASD using the BS code and "UK" shapes, you are really exporting with RBCR027 shapes. I recommend that you save the original UK template with other name, just in case you need to use it in the future.

Thanks

Gustavo

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report