Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snap options not accurate

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Jade_Cereno
1842 Views, 12 Replies

Snap options not accurate

I'm Modelling from Robot to create my Analystic Model.

Snapping is Really Hard and It seems that Robot does not trully recognize its snapping options because it does not snap to where it was supposed to be. As a result, Panels made from contours are often created over lapping each other and meshing is a big problem.

For small models it,s fine but for large models it's time consuming to correct it.

See pics for snapping errors. I just hope there is a fix for this.

Autodesk products are supposed to be on target with regards to precise modelling.

MIT-BsCE
Tags (3)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
chrismcc
in reply to: Jade_Cereno

Jade,
Setting up grid lines can be a big help. Also if you set the dimensions under job preferences to say 8 decimal places, you can keep an eye on them whilst you are creating your contours and make changes before completing the contour.
Hope this helps a little.
Chris
Message 3 of 13
Jade_Cereno
in reply to: chrismcc

Meaning to say, if I set my decimal places to smaller values my snapping will follow?

MIT-BsCE
Message 4 of 13
chrismcc

Hello Jade,
Unfortunately no. By default your dimensions are set to 2 decimal places for display. However your coordinates are recorded to 9 decimal places. So if you change the setting to 9 decimal places you will be able to see errors when you are selecting points as they occur.
Setting up grid lines gives you something to snap to and makes model correction easier.
There is a spreadsheet add-in on the forum to round up coordinates.
Regards
Chris

Sent from Samsung Mobile
Message 5 of 13
Jade_Cereno

Still, even with grids, my snap options goes out of its with mere .001 precision. Can't even make my snap options snap to grid intersection correctly 😞

MIT-BsCE
Message 6 of 13
Rafal.Gaweda

Snapping is not related to any unit settings \ precision.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 7 of 13
chrismcc

When you set up grid lines, you can then use detailed correct to correct the model on to grid lines. These can also be used to ensure that panels do not go out of plane. Grid lines HELP - they are another technique to help build the model accurately.
Message 8 of 13
Jade_Cereno
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

@Rafal.Gaweda wrote:
Snapping is not related to any unit settings \ precision.

But when you do plain basic modelling from scratch using RSAP and create meshing, you can see that it's the culprit for having incoherent mesh in the first place.

Yes, Grids can help but is not accurate. Compared to other 3D analysis software, STAAD and ETABS, robot has failed on the modelling part because it does not snap accurately even on Grid Line Intersections.

MIT-BsCE
Message 9 of 13
chrismcc

Hello,
Another approach - create floor layout in AutoCAD. Draw lines around the edge of every panel and opening.
Open DXF file in RSA. The lines around the panels will show as BARS. Create your panels by clicking inside each group of bars. Assuming your AutoCAD drawing is perfect, your panel coordinates will be perfect. Delete the bar elements.
Good luck.
Message 10 of 13
Jade_Cereno

@chrismcc wrote:
Hello,
Another approach - create floor layout in AutoCAD. Draw lines around the edge of every panel and opening.
Open DXF file in RSA. The lines around the panels will show as BARS. Create your panels by clicking inside each group of bars. Assuming your AutoCAD drawing is perfect, your panel coordinates will be perfect. Delete the bar elements.
Good luck.

Thanks for this work around. I was wondering if model extracted from Revit to RSAP will be more accurate??

Still having problems with Revit to RSAP conversion thou...

MIT-BsCE
Message 11 of 13
chrismcc

Don't assume that your draftsman will give you an accurate model!  Create it yourself. Check it yourself.

Sent from Samsung Mobile
Message 12 of 13
Rafal.Gaweda

Thanks for this work around. I was wondering if model extracted from Revit to RSAP will be more accurate??

Still having problems with Revit to RSAP conversion thou...

Check this forum. You will see how Revit models are inaccurately made by users.
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels%2Clocation&location=forum-...

Rafal Gaweda
Message 13 of 13
chrismcc

I said use AutoCAD not Revit and I did say build it yourself.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report