Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slab Thickening

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
2558 Views, 7 Replies

Slab Thickening

Hello!

I am modelling a 650 raft foundation that has a 1600 deep section for a crane base, and am unsure the best way of modelling it? When I thicken it seems to create a discontinuity of moments at the edge of the thickening. I think this might be because Robot assumes the centre of the two thicknesses is the same and not the top of the slabs? Is there a way to offset the thicker slab to get the top of the slabs to line up and will this help?

The deflection is continuous at the boundary so the different thicknesses seem to be acting as one in some ways

As always, thanks for your help

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: Anonymous

I am modelling a 650 raft foundation that has a 1600 deep section for a crane base, and am unsure the best way of modelling it? When I thicken it seems to create a discontinuity of moments at the edge of the thickening. I think this might be because Robot assumes the centre of the two thicknesses is the same and not the top of the slabs?

Yes, it is like that

Is there a way to offset the thicker slab to get the top of the slabs to line up and will this help?

create this panel below the thin one (in its opening) and connect edge nodes of this thick panel and nodes on opening edges by rigid links

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Ok, thanks for your suggestion.

But how do I create the panel below? Do I offset one or define a new storey under the raft?

Message 4 of 8
Rafal.Gaweda

But how do I create the panel below? 

Copy existing one below, assing Opening to the one in plate, connect nodes by rigid links.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Thanks Rafal,

Not sure what you mean this though?! Would it be possible to send through all the steps I shoudl follow?

Thanks

Message 6 of 8
Rafal.Gaweda

Example movie : http://screencast.com/t/jbgUunsg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Many Thanks!

Will this properly replicate the increased stiffness of the thickened concrete?

Message 8 of 8
Rafal.Gaweda

Moved down panel should have 1600 thickness and of course translation vector should be correct.

I have not paid attention to these in movie example. I just wanted to show you the way of doing that.

Rafal Gaweda

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report