Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slab long term deflection - creep and shrinkage

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
hiep
4039 Views, 19 Replies

Slab long term deflection - creep and shrinkage

Hello,

In on of my projects, I will need to check slab edge deflection at long term to ensure no detrimental effects on the cladding.

I know that Robot can do cracked deflection, but I was wondering if Robot could calculate slab long term deflection including creep and shrinkage? 

I could not find any guidance on this. Could I get some advice?

Thanks,

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: hiep

Creep is taken into account (see the attached picture) but there are no parameters for shrinkage in the RC Slab Required Reinforcement module. You may try to include this effect by definingtemperature load applied to a panel. 

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 20

Message 4 of 20
hiep
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Thanks Artur,
I seems you haven't attached the picture you refer to?

Message 5 of 20
Artur.Kosakowski

I'm sorry. The missing picture.

creep1.PNG

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 20
Mohammed_Ata

How can we show the long-term deflection diagram ? Its button is always deactivated !
Message 7 of 20

Could you attach the screen capture that shows which button you mean please? PLease include the whole Robot window rather than just a small part so that I could understand which option we are discussing. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 8 of 20
hiep

Artur, 

Thanks for this, we understand the process, for inputting a creep factor in this box, there is a further one within 'RC Design' relating to storey parameteres.

The Creep coefficient within here is greyed, unaltered and appears inconsistant to the factor defined in the first 'materials' box.

What is the link between this and the design and how do we check what creep factor is being used. 

Storey Parameters.png

Message 9 of 20
Artur.Kosakowski

Slab reinforcement calculations are based on the parameters assigned in the reinforcement type assigned to a panel. What is done in the Slab Provided reinforcement module is the distribution of reinforcement based on already calculated required area of reinforcement. Mind that in fact you may even not use the Slab Provided Reinforcement module at all e.g. in situation when you make distribution of reinfiorcement in program such as e.g. ASD Reinforcement.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 10 of 20
hiep

Thanks Atur,

I will use the properties in the panel definition for long term deflection analysis. 

Just to better understand the Story Parameters in the Provided Reinforcement, could you give us more information on your statement "What is done in the Slab Provided reinforcement module is the distribution of reinforcement based on already calculated required area of reinforcement".

Is there any guidance for this? I would like to know when it should be used. The creep factor appears to be fixed to 2.5 which is a bit strange. 

Many Thanks,

Hiep

Message 11 of 20
Artur.Kosakowski

To keep it simple: imagine that you want to calculate required area of reinforcement by hand. You assume cover, arm of forces, creep, steel and concrete grade etc. and you get theoretical area of reinforcement. This is what is done in the RC Slab Required Reinforcement module. Then you want to produce the reinforcement arrangement drawing so you select bar diameter and knowing the required area you decide on bar spacing. This is the RC Slab Provided Reinforcement module task (plus verification of punching).

Artur Kosakowski
Message 12 of 20
aokuns

How can one calculate the long term deflection and show its diagram? It appears deactivated and greyed out always.

Capture.PNG

Message 13 of 20
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: aokuns

Please watch the recording of the 5th Robot webinar available from:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/robot-structural-analysis-forum/robot-structural-analysis-webinars/td-...

Artur Kosakowski
Message 14 of 20

Dear @Artur.Kosakowski, is this in the attached picture the long term deflection?

Message 15 of 20

Hi @aimanalaawar

Correct.

If I managed to answer your question(s) press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solution(s) much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 16 of 20

Hi @Artur.Kosakowski

If I want the long term deflection for dead load and 30% sustained live load should I define a load combination with (1 DL + 0.3 LL) or I should set the Ratio of Loads: long-term to variable: to 0.3 when defining the reinforcement pattern

Thank you

Message 17 of 20

Hi @aimanalaawar

Assuming that 0.3 LL in the definition of the combination stands for the sustained part of 100% LL then for this particular combination you shouldn't reduce it further so the ratio of Loads: long-term to variable: should be 1.

If I managed to answer your question(s) press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solution(s) much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 18 of 20

Thank you very much @Artur.Kosakowski

Message 19 of 20

Hi Artur,

If I understand it correctly, it means reinforcement inserted along with the material properties (seen screenshot attached) are used for initial theoretical required reinforcement calculations. This has no influence when calculating long-term deflection in the Provided Reinforcement module. Am I correct to say this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Max

Message 20 of 20

Hi @maximeXNZTH

I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly but you can run (long term) deflection verification for the provided slab reinforcement.

If one or more of these posts answered your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report