Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slab Design with a User Defined Material

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
luzer333
708 Views, 4 Replies

Slab Design with a User Defined Material

Hello,

I'm trying to design a slab using fiber cement board which I defined earlier in the software, supported by steel beams. Please take a look at the attachment. I have two questions:

- Which Geometry should I use?

Geometry Menu>Panels>Model (Shell or Slab-Rigid Diaphram, the steel beams are supported on every end so I see no use of using rigid diaphram, is there a difference between shell and slab in this case?)

or

Geometry Menu>Floors and the same model.

I guess both (Floor and Panels) come to the same end in this situation, right?

- Is there an easy way to check whether the internal forces exceed the strength of the material (like the Steel Design Menu)? If not, which parameter should I look at in the Results - maps Menu, Stresses - s, Shear Stresses - t, Shear forces - Q? I got the values of bending strength, bending elastic modulus, compression and tension strengths from the manufacturer.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
t.sautierr
in reply to: luzer333

Geometry Menu>Panels>Model (Shell or Slab-Rigid Diaphram, the steel beams are supported on every end so I see no use of using rigid diaphram, is there a difference between shell and slab in this case?)

Depends what behavior and results you want to model : 

does your pannel resist to lateral loads? Is it rigid enough to be considerer undeformable? -> this answer to the question diaphragm or not

do you want to analyse effort in the pannels? -> FE have to be activated if you want to

don't mix shell and slab : in robot shell means you will have FE in your pannels, slab is a set of parameters for pannel (can include shell 🙂 for example slab - flexible diaphragm)

Geometry Menu>Floors and the same model.

See help, floors is a geometrical definition for a set of element, nothing to do with model or calcs

- Is there an easy way to check whether the internal forces exceed the strength of the material (like the Steel Design Menu)? If not, which parameter should I look at in the Results - maps Menu, Stresses - s, Shear Stresses - t, Shear forces - Q? I got the values of bending strength, bending elastic modulus, compression and tension strengths from the manufacturer

Depends what you have to check ! -> design code for this type of element. I don't know precisely what is the role of your element, but I would say check at least deflection and stress.

Message 3 of 5
Rafal.Gaweda

IF you want to design it - use Shell.
The rest - as Thomas wrote Above.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 4 of 5
luzer333
in reply to: t.sautierr

I used shell and FE mesh to analyse the fiber cement board. There is no mention about this material in the European or American codes, as far as I know. So I have to find a way to compare the given strengths with the internal forces. Can I compare the bending strength of the material with values found from Result - maps > Detailed > Stresses - s ? Or should I compare tension/compression strength with the "stress - s" value found in the lower layer (in parameters)?

Message 5 of 5
luzer333

I decided to use bending strength compared with stresses - s. However there is 20% difference when I use the bending strength formula used in EN 310 (Determination of modulus of elasticity in bending and of bending strength) to derive the force applied. Any comments?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report