Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shell problem - opening in a cylinder

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
ziegler123
4953 Views, 20 Replies

Shell problem - opening in a cylinder

Hello.

I'm fairly new to ROBOT SA and I would like to model a structure that's really similar to the attached image, only that I would like to model it as a shell and not as a solid! But the only problem that i've encountered so far is creating the opening in the shell model. I've tried to do an object combination but i honestly can't get it working with shells!

I've tried to do with solids but the model gets a llittle heavy, so therefore i would like to avoid that.

Any ideas? 

Thank you!

@ziegler123 Artur Kosakowski edited the topic for better findability 

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
ziegler123
in reply to: ziegler123

so.. any ideas?

Message 3 of 21
Rafal.Gaweda

It can be done but unfortunatelly it is not painless.

I will try to show you how to do it tomorrow.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 4 of 21
ziegler123
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Thank you so much! I will be expecting your response tomorrow then.

Message 5 of 21
Rafal.Gaweda

Example with 2 cylinders

2cyl.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 6 of 21
ziegler123

Yes, that's it! I did try to do a boolean operation but never expected that you had to turn off the Solid Modeler! Thank you so much!

Message 7 of 21
susi33

I tried as you shown in this instruction, but this didn't work. After object combinations my cylinder looks like deformed and when i press button to create mesh, hole dissappears. I have no idea what is wrong.

Message 8 of 21
susi33

And this is image like it looks like after meshing

Message 9 of 21
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: susi33

As there is no surface elements generated inside the 'circle' it means you actually have got the opening there. You can see that after switching off the display of the panel interior as on the picture attached by Rafał (the last object on the right hand side).

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 10 of 21
susi33
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Ok, but there is problem when i want to aplly a load. It seems like load is applied to this "hole".  Please look at my image. I modeled another panel to compare proper opnening with load with my cylinder opening.

Message 11 of 21
Rafal.Gaweda

Loads are applied to FEs.
No FEs in the opening -> no load there.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 12 of 21
susi33

Thanks for your help with theese, but i have another questions, Is there any possibility to explode 3d solid elements into panels? Where i can find "Parameters for Loading DXF/IGES Format Files"? I am using RSA 2014 and when i am importing from dxf the RSA shows dxf as geometrics objects, not as bars, panels etc. I know that i have a lot of questions, but i want to find the easiest way to model silo with lot of diffrent openings with possibility to fast editing loads, FE mesh etc.

Message 13 of 21
Rafal.Gaweda

Is there any possibility to explode 3d solid elements into panels?
No.
am using RSA 2014 and when i am importing from dxf the RSA shows dxf as geometrics objects, not as bars, panels etc. 
??????????

Rafal Gaweda
Message 14 of 21
susi33

When importing a .dxf file with drawed construction in AutoCAD, Robot did not change lines drawed in AutoCAD into bars, 3d faces into panels. In older version of Robot there was  "Parameters for Loading DXF/IGES Format Files" where i could change parameters for imported files.  Is there longer this option in version 2014 and i cant find it, or this feature was removed?

Message 15 of 21
Rafal.Gaweda

dxf file please

Rafal Gaweda
Message 16 of 21
susi33

Please take a look.

Message 17 of 21
susi33

Ok i solved this problem by myself. I should click "Open project" insted "import". My bad 😉

Message 18 of 21
ryanKVSBP

I am trying to do this in Robot 2016 and it appears the input options have changed since this was posted in 2013. I started by creating a "Shell" project, built my main shape, the large cylinder, and the shape I want to cut out from the cylinder wall. There is no longer an option to turn off the solid modeler, at least its not where it was in the 2013 post, and the Boolean Options are entirely different. I have tried them all and none give me what I am after. They all seem to leave pieces of the shape I am using to make the cut. Anyone know how to do this in the 2016 version?

Cylinder Job 1.JPG

Message 19 of 21
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: ryanKVSBP

Hint:

sm2017.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 20 of 21
a.h.smidt

Hello,

How did you get the 2D windload (?) at the side of the cylindercel?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums