Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shear stress due to torsional moment in SS-EN 1993-1:2005/AC:2009

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
SEAAWSP
571 Views, 4 Replies

Shear stress due to torsional moment in SS-EN 1993-1:2005/AC:2009

I've found that small torsional moments give unreasonably large shear stresses. When controlling against hand calculation, the Robot value for shear stress due to torsional moment is roughly 10x larger. Or is there something I'm overlooking? See attachment for an example. Hand calculation gives a shear stress at about 20 MPa while Robot gives 208.6 MPa.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: SEAAWSP

Which database is this section from? The largest from the UKST as far as I can see is 300x300x16 and the stress due to torsion is 13 MPa. For the user defined structural tube 300mm x 300 mm x 20mm it is 11 MPa Could you attach this example?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 5
SEAAWSP
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

It is a user defined section, a modified SHSC UK section.

I had not checked "Torsional constant" under results in Section definition. Does this mean the defined section did not get a torsional constant assigned?

I'm afraid I can't attach the section file, the site won't allow me to. Something about the file content not matching the file type.

Message 4 of 5
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: SEAAWSP

Try to zip it. You should mark the IX calculations (also other check boxes below it) it as well as select the appropriate section type (structural tube instead of "?") and provide the corresponding information about the dimensions while saving it to the user section database. 

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 5
SEAAWSP
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

It is solved! The error was in the section definition - when saving section to database no section type was selected which ended up giving the section flange and web thicknesses equal to zero.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report