Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self-weight of panels not included in notional loads

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
PatrickEC
1061 Views, 22 Replies

Self-weight of panels not included in notional loads

The self-weight of the panels in my model is not converted to notional loads.

Attached is a sample model.

Load case "1 DL1" (self-weight of the whole structure): total FZ reaction: 42146 kN

Load case "12 Panels" (self-weight of the panels only): total FZ reaction: 15676 kN

Load case "9 Notional loads X+", generated from load case 1: total FX reaction: -264 kN (should be 0.01*42146 =421 )

Load case "10 Notional loads X-", generated from load case 12: total FX reaction: 0 kN

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
tony.ridley
in reply to: PatrickEC

Its because you have used panels with no finite elements and simplified method of transferring loads

Change your panel calculation model to finite element type, and load transfer to analytical and it will work. 

Tony

Message 3 of 23

Patrick,

Please define self-weight in a horizontal direction (e.g. X-) manually in a separate load case and combine it with the corresponding notional load. I will create a development request for having this done automatically inside the notional load case.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 4 of 23

Tony: Obviously I have a reason why I use simplfied load distribution and not shell elements.

Artur: Thanks for the workaround and I am glad to see this added as a development request.

Message 5 of 23
tony.ridley

Patrick,

yeah yeah yeah OK but you didn't elaborate on your "obvious reasons".

Still haven't. 

So, in reply to your original post I gave my opinion on why your model is not working, and how I would fix it.   No point being cagey, it only a forum. 

Tony

Message 6 of 23
PatrickEC
in reply to: tony.ridley

Well, using shell elements would add additional stiffness to the model. Or maybe you know how to avoid it? then I am taking back my "cageyness".
Message 7 of 23
Rafal.Gaweda

Panel thickness = 1mm or less ?

Rafal Gaweda
Message 8 of 23

The 

@PatrickEC wrote:
Well, using shell elements would add additional stiffness to the model. Or maybe you know how to avoid it? then I am taking back my "cageyness".

Make a material (let's say concrete "C16/20_Eb1") with Young's modulus  (Eb) very small (0.1MPa). This way, the shell is very flexible, but you still have the self wight of a, let's say, 15cm concrete floor.

Message 9 of 23

@rg_Adsk wrote:

Panel thickness = 1mm or less ?

The problem with your solution is that the self weight must be calculated manually.

Message 10 of 23
PatrickEC

Making shell element extremely flexible will cause huge displacements of these elements. Even leaving out the problems with displaying and interpreting results, I am sure this would cause problems in modal/seismic analysis. Or am I missing something?

Message 11 of 23
tony.ridley

Well, using shell elements would add additional stiffness to the model.

I'm not sure I understand this.  Your panels were set to full stiffening (rigid body) meaning they are blocked in all directions.  Surely this is adding massive amount of stiffness to the model that is not really there?  The other problem with the way your model is set up is that pattern loading or a concentrated heavy load (in a small zone) is not properly distributed or dealt with.  i.e. if you place a small area of say 5kPa pn one side of your floor slab, the entire floor will rotate but stay plane in it's own right.  So the buildings global deformation is not correct. 

The beams under the heavy load will not deflect at all.  So actually I'm not sure using the full stiffening method is appropriate here. 

1.jpg

You could model as a shell with flexible stiffening, still get the diaphragm action laterally but account for the real stiffness in the vertical direction.  In some cases (especially like yours with very regular geometry) Robot is quicker using FE shells than with trapezoidal distribution method anyway. 

Additionally your modal / seismic run will also be more accurate when using a shell, as the applied loads are converted to masses at each node on the shell.  You will have more control over the size of the mesh and therefore more control over the accuracy of the results (especially if you use the "consistent" mass matrix method for the modal run. 

Tony 

Message 12 of 23
PatrickEC

Tony:

The attached model is just a book example to show that the notional loads for panels does not work. In my actual model I do not use diaphragms.

I appreciate your comments though. You certainly make interesting points. I just do not see how you can make shell elements work in the situations where you have floor supported on beams but working independently. E.g. a concrete slab (non-composite - no studs) supported on steel beams. In this case you do not want the slab to contribute its stiffness to the beams, because these elements are not well connected.

Message 13 of 23

Artur:

Similarly to the conversion to notional loads, panel self-weight is not converted to mass when defined in "Analysis Type -> Load to Mass Conversion" - I just checed that. Looks like it also requires a fix. Any good workaround for this one?

Message 14 of 23

Could you send me the example file please? I can't see such problem.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 15 of 23
PatrickEC

Artur:

Like before I am using panels with no finite elements and simplified method of transferring loads. You used a panel with finite elements, change it to what I use and you will see the same behaviour.

Message 16 of 23

Have you checked with SP1 installed?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Robot-Structural/Curtain-walls-and-modal-analysis/td-p/332946... (message 😎

Artur Kosakowski
Message 17 of 23
PatrickEC

Apparently it also works when a stiffening diaphragm is turned on, but without diaphragms it does not work. See the attached file and screen capture.

http://screencast.com/t/AyJXdz8p6

Message 18 of 23

@Artur.Kosakowski wrote:

Have you checked with SP1 installed?

I use the 2012 version with Service Pack 5.

Message 19 of 23

Good reason to upgrade Smiley Happy

Artur Kosakowski
Message 20 of 23
PatrickEC

Good reason to release a hotfix/patch/update.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report