Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3
Casparov
1856 Views, 2 Replies

Section definition

Problem:

1. Imagine we're using an L-shaped steel section to support a cover. We're modeling this as a simple supported beam, and we're using a CAE 80x8 (axes are y and z corresponding to the two legs of the L, instead of u and w which are the principle axes and for which we would have used CAEP 80x8).

The (uniformly distributed) load due to the cover is also according to the normal axes y and z.

2. We are going to reinforce this section by welding another L-section against it (see attachment Att 1). Therefore we define a new combined section in the menu "Section Definition". Since the two L-sections are not symmetrically aligned, the principle axes (u-w, but also indicated as y-z in the "Section Definition") are different than the normal y-z-axes (as in the CAE section).

Question: We have a go with the Steel design section of European Eurocode. I would like the section to be calculated according the general axes (and not the principle axes). How can I be sure this is the case? (Because the moment of inertia Iy in the image attached (Att 2), is according to the Iy for principle axes.)

Thanks for your reply.

Best regards 

Edit: we're using Robot Professional 2013, 26.0.2.4356

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Casparov

I would save this section selecting the T shape symbol and then I would replace values saved in the database with the one calculated in the coordinate system you would like to work with.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 3

Additionally take a look here : http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Robot-Structural/How-to-create-thin-walled-sections/m-p/31070... , esspecially message 11 attachments

Rafal Gaweda

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report