Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Robot - Non-linear buckling analysis of beams

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
nickc
1336 Views, 7 Replies

Robot - Non-linear buckling analysis of beams

Hi there,

I was hoping to be able to carry out a non-linear buckling analysis of a beam under bending (i.e. not under axial). I need to do this to confirm the actual effective length of the member (ie. confirming whether my effective length factor is 0.7, 1.0 or somewhere in between). Can Robot do this?

Look forward to your response.

Regards, Nick

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: nickc

I'm not sure if I understand the situation correctly. Do you mean lateral buckling as there is no compression? Could you attach your model?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 8
nickc

I do not have a model - I am wanting to understand if Robot has this capability. I have a member which is subject to bending (not axial) and I need to understand the effective length of the member. I could make an assessment of the effective length, however the effective segment lengths along the member are complex and an assumption may or may not be conservative. I was hoping to do a buckling analysis to confirm the actual effective length.

Message 4 of 8
nickc
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Sorry, I should have added that  am referring to a lateral torsional buckling analysis.

Message 5 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski

That was my assumption Smiley Happy

For bar elements such analysis type is not possible.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 8
imatoric
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Hello Artur,

when you say ''for bar elements such analysis is not possible'' you mean bar elements in general?
Or for beams is possible?

And addition to that, this is basic question but what is essential different between bar and beam elements? If you can clear that out for me or point me out to the answer i would appreciate that.

Thanks

Ivan

Message 7 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: imatoric

In RSA there is only one type of bar element available therefore "bar" and "beam" element means the same. 

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 8 of 8
t.sautierr

Hi nick,

this not possible for 1D element such as bars, beams, etc .... and it is normal because to make such analysis you will need to hava element with more than 6 degrees of freedom in order to simulate wrapping and torsion.

To do that kind of analysis in robot, then you will have to model your beam with shells for flange, web .. etc  put the right supporting condition and perform a buckling analysis. Then you will see with buckling mode can be interpreted as LTB. With the critical load you will be able to get the effective lenght back.

Other solution : use this software https://www.cticm.com/content/ltbeam-version-1011 it is simple and allows for quick analyses. (note that there is a FEM calculation engine behind to perform the analysis as the method I explained...)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report