Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinforcement percentage below required value due to seismic requirements

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
stroxy
498 Views, 7 Replies

Reinforcement percentage below required value due to seismic requirements

I use EC8 for seismic design and I notice I keep getting the attached error message about unsufficient reinforcement percentage.  I understand that it is as a requirement of a clause in the code asking for a certain percentage of reinforcement over the whole length of the beam.  My question is does RSA have a setting which automatically checks for this in designing beams?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: stroxy

WIthout the access to the file I can't tell what in this particular case causes this warning to be displayed but in general the RC design modules try to arrange reinforcement in such a way that the minimal area of reinforcement requirement is fulfilled.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 8
dimogrec
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

is there a way to see the reinforcement ratios of a section?

Message 4 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: dimogrec

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by "reinforcement ratio". Is it  area of reinforcement / area of beam's cross section? 

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 8
dimogrec
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Exactly Artur, thanks for responding. It is usually symbolized with character " ρ " for longitudinal reinforcement and distinguished between ρ tensile  and ρ compressive (or top - bottom).

Also an other thing. In the calculation note of a RC beam I see clearly theorical reinforcement ( 2.6 Theoretical results - detailed results) in terms of area (cm2) in various sections (abscissa) but for the provided reinforcement (always in calculation note part 2.7 Reinforcement)  I only see number of bars and the diameter of the bars. It would much better seeing in the calculation note also the provided reinforcement in terms of area (as it happens in slabs for example) +  the reinforcement ratio ρ  Smiley Wink  . Ok there's the diagram with the provided Abr, works fine while using RSA but in the printed calculation note no values are written in the diagram...

Message 6 of 8
dimogrec

It looks like this issue http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Robot-Structural-Analysis/Anchorage-Length-based-on-Eurocode-RC-Beams-... is the reason of the message "Reinforcement percentage below required value due to seismic requirements" (=> reduction of Abr at the beam edges => so Asmin from EN-1998 5.4.3.1.2 (5)P ).

Since you are investigating about the above issue (kope's post) please check also

1) EN 1998-1 5.4.3.1.2 (5)P about ρmin in tension zone (Asmin) seems to work but   5.4.3.1.2 (4) b about ρmax (Asmax) looks that is not covered from RSA

2) If I use moderate ductility class (DCM) and try to use 12mm diameter bars I get the error : The shape of longitudinal reinforcement is incorrect according to seismic requirements ( EN 1998-1:2004, 5.5.3.1.3 (5)P b ) . The limit of 14mm diameter bars is referred to high ductility class (DCH => EN1998 5.5...) and not to DCM where chapter 5.4 should be applied

3) there are also some limitations about max longitudinal diameter in EN 1998:2004 5.6.2.2 that also doesn't seem to be covered by RSA.

I'm trying to find something in help documentation about what RSA does and what not according to EN 1998-1 but not many things are wtitten about EC8 member's design . Is there a list like the one about EN 1992-1-1 ? ( something similar like this http://help.autodesk.com/view/RSAPRO/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-4E5753BC-34FA-41F2-9A80-C54EB716EBE1 )

P.S. a small notation about my previous post. Ratio of tension reinforcement ρ is defined as As/b*d where As is area o tension reinforcement, b is the width of the beam, and d is the effective height of the beam (= h-c where h is the geometrical height of the beam section and c the reinforcement cover)

Message 7 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski

It looks like this issue http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Robot-Structural-Analysis/Anchorage-Length-based-on-Eurocode-RC-Beams-... is the reason of the message "Reinforcement percentage below required value due to seismic requirements" (=> reduction of Abr at the beam edges => so Asmin from EN-1998 5.4.3.1.2 (5)P ).

Asmin is compared with the total reinforcement area, not reduced due to the anchorage length (Abr), so I can't see any link to  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Robot-Structural-Analysis/Anchorage-Length-based-on-Eurocode-RC-Beams-...

Since you are investigating about the above issue (kope's post) please check also

1) EN 1998-1 5.4.3.1.2 (5)P about ρmin in tension zone (Asmin) seems to work but   5.4.3.1.2 (4) b about ρmax (Asmax) looks that is not covered from RSA

Both points: EN 1998-1 5.4.3.1.2 (5)P and 5.4.3.1.2 (4) b are implemented in Robot

2) If I use moderate ductility class (DCM) and try to use 12mm diameter bars I get the error : The shape of longitudinal reinforcement is incorrect according to seismic requirements ( EN 1998-1:2004, 5.5.3.1.3 (5)P b ) . The limit of 14mm diameter bars is referred to high ductility class (DCH => EN1998 5.5...) and not to DCM where chapter 5.4 should be applied

Under investigation.

3) there are also some limitations about max longitudinal diameter in EN 1998:2004 5.6.2.2 that also doesn't seem to be covered by RSA.

Currently EN 1998:2004 5.6.2.2 is not supported in RC Beam design module due to limitation in accessing values of forces in columns during the beam design process.

P.S. a small notation about my previous post. Ratio of tension reinforcement ρ is defined as As/b*d where As is area o tension reinforcement, b is the width of the beam, and d is the effective height of the beam (= h-c where h is the geometrical height of the beam section and c the reinforcement cover)

Yes Smiley Happy

Artur Kosakowski
Message 8 of 8

Corrected in SP1 for Robot 2016.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report