Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RC slab supported on beams vs direct supports

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
krip
1595 Views, 1 Reply

RC slab supported on beams vs direct supports

Hello,

I'm designing a structure where I have RC slab supported by (steel) beams. As I went trough the results, I noticed that the slab results differ from hand calculations.

I've attached a sample model of this problem. First slab is supported by beams  (beams are supported with pinned supports at ends) and second slab by linear supports. Slabs are loaded with self-weight only. Results for slab supported by linear supports are correct, but for slab supported by beams they seem odd. It seems that most of the load is transferred directly to nodal supports and slab behaves like it's supported only in corners (more or less).

So my question is -  is there a special technique defining a structure with RC slab supported on beams to acquire more realistic results?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: krip

I'd say they are realistic and sometimes different  to what one may expect trying to use 'hand calcs' approach Smiley Happy The question is what is more rigid: a beam or a slab. Please look what happens if you decrease the thickness of the slab.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report