Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rc plate on steel beams

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
2446 Views, 11 Replies

Rc plate on steel beams

Hello

How I can model rc plate on steel beam. If I model it simple way (just adding beams under teh edge of plate), I don't get correct bending moments in beam.

Regards,

Ragnar

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
teixeiranh
in reply to: Anonymous

What do you mean by "I don't get correct bending moments"?

Model please.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The most powerful force on the universe is compound interest.”
Subscribe me on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6G8OOp318Z1MFzJj5T8uWw
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: teixeiranh

I added very simple test file where are 3 situations (plate and steel beams, plate and steel beams with offset, and steel beams with cladding). I expect that result should be like using cladding but if there is a plate the bending moment in steel beam ise much smaller than using just a cladding.

Katse.JPG

Message 4 of 12
Artur.Kosakowski

They are not the same for two reasons:

1. Part of the bending is transferred by the slab

2. For the slab model the 'stiffness' of the beams is "smaller" than for the cladding model as they are defined at the same level as the panel. For the offset solution you get axial force (tension) instead of bending. 

You may try:

1. Use the orthotropic definition of the slab's thickness with the reduced stiffness coefficient in the direction of the beams

2. Replace HEA200 sections with a user defined one which have increased IY value

steel beams under slab.PNG

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

What about calculation of required reinforcement for orthotopic plate? Should I change something?

Can I use the same solution if there are concrete beams?

Message 6 of 12
Artur.Kosakowski

What about calculation of required reinforcement for orthotopic plate? Should I change something?

Reinforcement will be calculated for the internal forces obtained during static analysis of a model with the orhothropic slab defined assuming the indicated thickness of the slab.

thickness for RC design.PNG

The question is what kind of connection between the beams and the slab you actually have and if you 'can' assume that the slab works in one direction only. 

Can I use the same solution if there are concrete beams?

IMHO for 'offsets' yes but I'd rather assume that the slab works in both directions. 

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

If I have a beams in both direction (plate works in two-way) then I can't use plate orthotrophy. And if I want to calculate beams also then the increased Iy is not an option also.  Any tips?

Message 8 of 12
Artur.Kosakowski

If I have a beams in both direction (plate works in two-way) then I can't use plate orthotrophy.

In such case there is no need to do so.

And if I want to calculate beams also then the increased Iy is not an option also.  

Steel or concrete beams? 

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

If it is not troublesome I'm happy to hear both version (steel beams and concrete beams under the plate).

Message 10 of 12
Artur.Kosakowski

For RC:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Robot-Structural-Analysis/T-slab/m-p/3185418

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Robot-Structural-Analysis/Beam-offsets/m-p/3332921

For steel: do you intend to design your deck as a composite (steel beam working together with a concrete slab) or a deck is only a load for steel beams? 

Artur Kosakowski
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

Plate is only a load on steel beams. Claddings ar not a good options beacuse if the plate is continous then the support reactions are different.

Message 12 of 12
Artur.Kosakowski

1. Define beams with the increaxded value of Iy

2. Calculate a model

3. Create a group for each beam sepatrately or for selection of beams for which you want to use the same section

all_1.PNG

4. Assign the sections you want to perform the design for to each of the groups

profiles in groups.PNG

5. Run group verification or design

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report