Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RC Column Design Height error

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
1272 Views, 7 Replies

RC Column Design Height error

Hello!
I'm a student who's currently investigating the connection between Revit2015 and RobotASP2015 and I've encontered the a problem in RC Element Calculation on columns. The correct heigth of the column doesn't match the heigth of the RC calculations.

I understand that the column sets the heigth from the Top of the beams, but that leads to incorrect values since the column should have a "X" value and not "X+(Hsuperiorbeam/2)-(Hinferiorbeam/2)".

Another consequence of this is the link to REVIT2015, that makes the Rebars going out of the column, since the column in Revit2015 have 2.50 meters and the rebars calculated from RobotASP2015 have the calculation and length of the previous incorrect heigth "2.50+(0.40/2)-(0.0/2)=2.70m" (the 0.0 m since its a column from the ground level).

Is there a solution to this, out of manually inputting the correct heigth of the column in every column on Robot RC Elements?

Thanks in advance,

Vitor Pascoal

PS: in attachment i put the .rtd file if necessary and the image below

Heigth columns.png

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: 1070134

The theoretical column's height is from the bottom node to the top node and the beam is inserted at its center line rather than at its top surface as in Revit which stands for the 20 cm difference (half of the beam height). You can change the column height manually as shown on the attached picture.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 8
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Hi, and thanks for the attention and answer.

But is there a way to do this more automatic, or else, if my building has 20 diferent columns, I've to manually do the correction to 20 different columns, and if I change something from the struture, I'll have to change them all manually again.

I had an idea about using a Macro. I still didn't look very well at the macro system, what's the possibilities and what's the limitations. Do you think it's possible to do a macro to solve the problem? Or it's something that Autodesk is trying to solve?

Like I said, still haven't made alot of thougth on the "macro solution", but what's your opinion on that?

Sincerely,

Vítor Pascoal

Message 4 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski

I'm afraid that you cannot use any macro for this task. My understanding is that this situation is for the ground columns which have supports in their bottom nodes. If so you may consider defining dummy short beams (of the same heights as the beams at the top column's nodes) at the bottom nodes of these columns. This will shorten the columns in Robot by the half of the beams' heights which is what I assume you need. Compare the first and the 3rd column on the attached picture.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 8

Sorry for the long time with no comeback.

In fact, that solution (dummy beam) could solve some problems, but only for the column of "level 1". For the others levels, if i change the height of any beam, the height of the column will change again.
Isn't there a way to tell RSA to calculate column height from middle bottom node to middle top node instead of bottom beam node to top beam node?

Because i want to draw details on Autocad Strucutral Detailing and the wrong height of the column will be on the detail, meaning: or changing one by one in Robot manually the height of ALL columns in Robot RC Design or change the height of the drawings in ASD (imagine a big struture with 200+). And if there's just a little change in the structure, i have to redo the process....

Vítor Pascoal

Message 6 of 8

After running some tests, i went back to Revit-Robot-ASD 2014 to see if the error/bug was present in the versions. 
I created a new default structure, doing the same footsteps on both versions (revit-robot-asd 2014 and 2015). I reached this resultes (in order, Robot2014 - Robot2015):2014 Part 4 Rev-Rob.JPG2015 Part 4 Rev-Rob.png

I will link the images and the files of each version so if you need it.
After the transfer to Asd, the dimensions continue as in robot, 2014 being right and 2015 wrong.
Another thing i notice, in Robot2014, one of the columns (Column 5) had wrong height because of the different beam height , but if i sum with the height of the chain column (Column10), it gives: 2.83+2.87 = 5.70m. Correct with the struture that i put top level = 5.70m ([level 1 -] 3.00+ [Level 2 -] 2.70)
In Robot 2015, the same does not happen: (column5) 3.22 + (Column 10) 2.77 = 5.99 (+0.29m!!!)

Is it going to be a fix for this?

Message 7 of 8

Part 2 - Files of Testing 2014/2015

Message 8 of 8

Part 3 - Files of Testing 2014/2015

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report