Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RC COLUMN DESIGN - ACI - Shear for columns ( L-shape)

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Refaat
1115 Views, 4 Replies

RC COLUMN DESIGN - ACI - Shear for columns ( L-shape)

Dear Colleagues

Could I know  why does ROBOT give me unsafe section for L-shape column due to the shear force even  when I increased the section to very large dimensions  e.g ( all members  have dim CL 190x190 in the attached model)? but when I  changed the section shape to rectangular   ( the cross section area is about 50% from L-shape ) the ROBOT gave me very large safety factor for shear? Does that mean( ROBOT doesn't   calculate the shear for this type of sections) ?

http://www.2shared.com/file/tkN95hX9/ModelCapture.html

Thanks in advance

Refaat

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Refaat

Could I know  why does ROBOT give me unsafe section for L-shape column due to the shear force even  when I increased the section to very large dimensions  e.g ( all members  have dim CL 190x190 in the attached model

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly but on the picture the safety ratio for L section is infinity which is very very large (Robot displays inf above certain very large value) so it is actually safe.

but when I  changed the section shape to rectangular   ( the cross section area is about 50% from L-shape ) the ROBOT gave me very large safety factor for shear?

Which is smaller then for the L one Smiley Happy

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 5
Refaat
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Dear Artur

Thanks a lot for your fast response . the section is unsafe when I consider the shear in calculation as it appears in the attached capture 01 while when I don't consider the shear I don't receive any error message as it appears in the attached capture 02 .

Any help please .

Refaat

Message 4 of 5
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Refaat

Dear Refaat,

The shear design for L shape columns is currently not supported for ACI code. I have added this to the wish list.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 5
Refaat
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Dear Artur

Thanks alot for this clarification

Refaat

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report