Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RC beam/column warnings & pinned linear joint problem

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Opel5
1417 Views, 15 Replies

RC beam/column warnings & pinned linear joint problem

Morning All,

Apologies for the probably basic questions which follow. I'm learning as I go along. I have a few problems when trying to run reinforcement analysis:

1) Referring to screenshot, the bottom of the stairs simply provides a small amount of dead weight on the garage slab. They are cast seperately. I've provided a linear edge pin at the stair slab base where it touches down on the garage slab. However the RC slab analysis is still quoting a huge 2156mm^2 reinforcement requirement. Any idea what I've done wrong?

2) in the reinforcement results, I can't see all the text in the remarks column, theres no way to stretch the column wide enough to read the text?

3) on some 300x600 RC columns I have no errors but warning remarks. ... represents the chopped off text  "...ternal calculation nodes. The calculations of reinforcement may be incorrect". I've got no idea what the warning is going on about or how to fix it. Any ideas? If it's (I'm guessing) a clash between RC wall/slabs FE mesh nodes and RC columns is there a way of fixing this fairly painlessly?

4) when running calculation, I get a warning "required types are not ascribed to SLS combinations". However I have set up serviceability and ULS load combinations. I've attached my model in case someone can spot what I've missed.

5) I also have a spike in reinforcement of approx 1500mm^2 in the left hand corner where the garage roof slab meets the front central wall. Is there any way of releasing this corner? In practise there wont be a moment connection at the corner, the reinforcement will be lapped at the flat faces only.

Many thanks, any feedback is greatly appreciated. Robot model is attached here:

https://www.filemail.com/dl.aspx?id=EDSSXKRVVRLUQOF

Scott

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: Opel5

4) when running calculation, I get a warning "required types are not ascribed to SLS combinations". However I have set up serviceability and ULS load combinations. I've attached my model in case someone can spot what I've missed.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Robot-Structural/SLS-combination/m-p/3316923/highlight/true#M...

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 16
Rafal.Gaweda

2) in the reinforcement results, I can't see all the text in the remarks column, theres no way to stretch the column wide enough to read the text?

Why not possible? Just drag the border lines.

wide.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 4 of 16
Rafal.Gaweda

1) Referring to screenshot, the bottom of the stairs simply provides a small amount of dead weight on the garage slab. They are cast seperately. I've provided a linear edge pin at the stair slab base where it touches down on the garage slab. However the RC slab analysis is still quoting a huge 2156mm^2 reinforcement requirement. Any idea what I've done wrong?

Your support is applied to stairs + slab

axp.jpg

So either separate these objects or remove support or apply lienear release at the bottom egde of stairs (be carefull about release directions).

Rafal Gaweda
Message 5 of 16
Opel5
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Thanks for the input Rafal 🙂 I've tried releasing "Edge 4" of the panel 459 as "pinned-pinned" but it seems to only release all edges as pinned, and after applying the release there is no was of checking which edge of an object has release conditions. Is it possible to specify only 1 linear edge release at the base of the stairs panel?

Message 6 of 16
Opel5

Also regarding item 2) How can I remove internal nodes from within a column to remove the warnings that are popping up without having to manually (and painfully) trim back all the wall panels?

Message 7 of 16
Rafal.Gaweda

These warnings are presented for columns in walls \ panels so you neede mesh nodes along column to properly connect these elements.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 8 of 16
Opel5

Hi Rafal,

Regarding item 5) above - I've attached a screenshot of the reinforcement hot spot. The screenshot is of a roof slab connecting to an RC wall corner. In practise the reinforcement will be lapped along edges, so is there a way of releasing the nodal corner only at the wall corner - slab?

Many Thanks,

Scott

Message 9 of 16
Opel5

Hi Rafal,

Regarding the earlier problem I had:

"These warnings are presented for columns in walls \ panels so you neede mesh nodes along column to properly connect these elements."

Could you give a bit more guidance please on how I acheive the above please? I had nodes all over the building to start with but a lot of them have been removed during FE meshing, FE mesh removal (for editing), and panel alterations. I have quite a few cases where the wall panels seem to clash with the embedded RC columns and assumed Robot could distinguish between the two rather than having to manually (and painfully) separate panels from columns at all intersections?

Many Thanks,

Scott

Message 10 of 16
Rafal.Gaweda

. In practise the reinforcement will be lapped along edges, so is there a way of releasing the nodal corner only at the wall corner - slab?

No you can apply linear releases to panels. Divide \ create shorter edge nead the corner and apply there releases

Rafal Gaweda
Message 11 of 16
Rafal.Gaweda

Opel5 wrote:

Thanks for the input Rafal 🙂 I've tried releasing "Edge 4" of the panel 459 as "pinned-pinned" but it seems to only release all edges as pinned, and after applying the release there is no was of checking which edge of an object has release conditions. Is it possible to specify only 1 linear edge release at the base of the stairs panel?

Example

edge4.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 12 of 16
Rafal.Gaweda

Scott

Could you give a bit more guidance please on how I acheive the above please? I had nodes all over the building to start with but a lot of them have been removed during FE meshing, FE mesh removal (for editing), and panel alterations. I have quite a few cases where the wall panels seem to clash with the embedded RC columns and assumed Robot could distinguish between the two rather than having to manually (and painfully) separate panels from columns at all intersections?

See below.

Look also at difference between results.

436.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 13 of 16
Opel5

Hi Rafal,

I've finally got a chance to go back and follow your advice concerning below:

"

. In practise the reinforcement will be lapped along edges, so is there a way of releasing the nodal corner only at the wall corner - slab?

No you can apply linear releases to panels. Divide \ create shorter edge nead the corner and apply there releases

"

But can't seem to find a way of neatly dividing a small L-shaped peice of the roof slab panel at the outward wall corner in the attached screenshot to remove the reinforcement spike?

Message 14 of 16
Rafal.Gaweda

Scott

Divide \ create shorter edge nead the corner and apply there releases

Divide WITH node generation, then select panels edge.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 15 of 16

Scott,

The procedure as requested.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 16 of 16
Opel5
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Thanks Artur 🙂 Got the hang of the procedure now

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report