Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

raft foundation

26 REPLIES 26
SOLVED
Message 1 of 27
lis2984
5836 Views, 26 Replies

raft foundation

Good morning

I m learning Robot 2011.

I m trying to model a raft foundation

would you please give me the steps?

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: lis2984

ordinary plate but in thickness defintion add soil elasticity

eskz.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 27
lis2984
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

thxs!
Message 4 of 27
willjvizcaya

Hi, im also new with the slab foundation and elastic ground..

I have made this model for a slab foundation, i hate a ellastic coefficient of 25Ton/m3 but i dont think i defined correctly the planar Kz since soil pressure in the result maps goes above 180 T/m2 ( According to soil study Max 25Ton/m2).

1) Can you pls tell me how to correctly define Kz (it ask for a load above foundation) and Kz=0 when i do it this way.

2) is it ok to define a kz manually since i have the value.

3)How can i see the soil pressure correctly, the moment and shear diagrams?? i have seen it in other models but cant find the panel cut tool.

Thank you for ur help.

Regards

Message 5 of 27
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: willjvizcaya

Hi, im also new with the slab foundation and elastic ground..

I have made this model for a slab foundation, i hate a ellastic coefficient of 25Ton/m3 but i dont think i defined correctly the planar Kz since soil pressure in the result maps goes above 180 T/m2 ( According to soil study Max 25Ton/m2).

1) Can you pls tell me how to correctly define Kz (it ask for a load above foundation) and Kz=0 when i do it this way.

I do not understand your model data. If you know kz = 25 T/m3 so why have you specified kz~3000 T/m3 ?

Take a look below sw of your slab is 1680 T and it gives pressure 34,46 T/m2 ; soil kz = 25 T/m3 means that if you have load of 25 T/m2 it will be displaced 1m. So in your case you get 1,34m displacement.

kzpr.jpg

2) is it ok to define a kz manually since i have the value.

Yes

3)How can i see the soil pressure correctly, the moment and shear diagrams?? i have seen it in other models but cant find the panel cut tool.

Results menu \ Panel Cuts

Rafal Gaweda
Message 6 of 27
webcy

It's necessary to assign supports? Or I need to delete the supports of walls and columns? Or maybe It's necessary to assign planar support for the plate? Can you help me Rafael? Thank you.
Message 7 of 27
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: webcy

Hi @webcy

For a raft foundation walls and columns act as objects to transfer load from the above part of a building rather than supports. The best is to define supports is to add elastic soil in the definition of the panel (raft foundation) thickness. Mind that in addition to KZ you also need some horizontal restrains (e.g. UZx and UY supports or KX and KZ in the definition of the elastic soil) to avoid instabilities.

I hope this helps.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 8 of 27
webcy
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Thank you Arthur, one more question, how can I add some horizontal restrains (e.g. UZx and UY supports or KX and KZ in the definition of the elastic soil) to avoid instabilities? Can you help me with a screenshot of your suggested configuration please? Thank you!

Message 9 of 27
Artur.Kosakowski

Hi @webcy

See the slide from the 16th Robot webinar on instabilities

horizontal restrains1.PNG

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 10 of 27
mustafahesenow

Hi @webcy

Fallow the picture

120.PNG

Mustafa Hesenow
Senior Structural Design Engineer/MZP
LinkedIn

Message 11 of 27
webcy
in reply to: mustafahesenow

Very helpful Mustafa! So, if my KZ is for example KZ=700 KN/m3, I need to assign for Ky and Kx the value of Ky= 70 KN/m3 & Kx=70 KN/m3??? This could have an impact on calculations? 

Can you help me with another topic? I need foundation with eccentricity (foundation around a site near to other buildings) do you have any suggestion or a shortcut to avoid problems?

Thank you!

Message 12 of 27
mustafahesenow

Hi @webcy

Very helpful Mustafa! So, if my KZ is for example KZ=700 KN/m3, I need to assign for Ky and Kx the value of Ky= 70 KN/m3 & Kx=70 KN/m3??? This could have an impact on calculations? 

yes correct there wont be  any impact on the calculation .

Mustafa Hesenow
LinkedIn

Message 13 of 27
webcy

Can you help me with another topic? I need foundation with eccentricity (foundation around a site near to other buildings) do you have any suggestion or a shortcut to avoid problems?

Thanks!

Message 14 of 27
mustafahesenow

Hi @webcy

Its my pleasure to help you my friend .

Please write it as new topic to avoid mixing between the topics and to make easy to find for  our friends when they will look at similar case.

Mustafa Hesenow
LinkedIn

Message 15 of 27
webcy

Message 16 of 27

Nice topic. So if I choose to follow your first suggestion and apply my Kx and Ky in the tangent elasticity field I get a warning no supports defined. So its ok to ignore this warning @Artur.Kosakowski?

Message 17 of 27

Hi @fredkishawi12

So if I choose to follow your first suggestion and apply my Kx and Ky in the tangent elasticity field I get a warning no supports defined. So its ok to ignore this warning @Artur.Kosakowski?

Yes, it can be ignored.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 18 of 27

what about Ux and Uy 

?

Message 19 of 27
me1205377
in reply to: hashimkhalil4

as Mr. mustafa said you can assume Ux , Uy  to be 10% of your Kz value

moustafa elgaar
Message 20 of 27
hashimkhalil4
in reply to: me1205377

he talked about Ky and Kx i think .  not Ux&Uy ? 

@me1205377

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report