Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R.C. foundation under R.C. wall in RSA

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
WASSIMSAID1507
2522 Views, 11 Replies

R.C. foundation under R.C. wall in RSA

Dear Sir,

I need to automatically design R.C. foundation supporting R.C. shear wall in a building which has been modeled using the RSA 2012. The shear wall base edge is pinned (linear support).

is there a way to design automatically  the R.C. foundation under the shear wall as we made for the R.C. columns?

or we must manually enter the reduced forces of the shear wall in the R.C. foundation module?

Your help is very appreciated. 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

You can try to use the approach shown on the attached picture.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 12

It is a safe solution for wall with normal load.

but what can we do if we have moment as for for shear wall in the building?

(reduced moments due to seismic loads for example)

regards,

Wassim

Message 4 of 12

I would adopt the same approach but after examining the values of reactions I would select one of nodes close to the ends of the wall (larger values of the vertical reactions due to in-plane moments). Of course this is when you want to have the same width and reinforcement along the entire foundation. Otherwise I would make the design selecting number of nodes along the wall adjusting the L values so that they correspond to each of the segment I intend to design.

Another option is to design the foundation against a group of loads (can be used to have the same foundation for several columns as well) by means of the grouping option. In such case the values of reaction from each of the imported nodes will be used in the design process. Mind that the values of imported reactions should be modified based on the distance of the neighboring nodes (unless the mesh size is exactly 1m and the side nodes are not selected Smiley Happy)

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 12

Dear Artur,

If I want to design the RC wall with the same footing width and depth.

The moment can produce compression in one edge and uplift in the other.

Is there a way to design this type of footing simply or we must then input the reduced loads of the panels?

thank you.

Wassim

Message 6 of 12

My understanding is that the reduced moment is what actually caused  vertical reactions along a wall to differ. I think the approach I described in my previous answer should be just what you need. Of course any other ideas from the user's of the forum are welcomed.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 12

OK Artur,

Thank you.

Message 8 of 12
watsongd
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Hello Artur,

Why could you not use a horizontal shell member with elastic supports to suit ground conditions with pin connection to elimnate moments?

Geoff 

Message 9 of 12
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: watsongd

I'm sorry but I'm not sure if I understand you correctly.  As far as I understand you want to replace pinned supports defined at the bottom edge of the panel (wall) with the horizontal panel on elastic ground. If yes the in-plane bending will be still there and to avoid out of plane bending you would need to define linear release at the bottom edge of the wall. Anyway if you create a foundation under the wall as the horizontal panel you can calculate reinforcement using the RC Slab design module but mind that no shear (punching) verification will be done.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 10 of 12
watsongd

Thanks Artur,

I have used this method for retaining walls and have checked shear by hand, of course with retaining walls there is no need usually to introduce the pin at slab wall junction.

Geoff 

Message 11 of 12
stroxy

In such case the values of reaction from each of the imported nodes will be used in the design process. Mind that the values of imported reactions should be modified based on the distance of the neighboring nodes (unless the mesh size is exactly 1m and the side nodes are not selected ...

Artur

How would one set about modifying imported reactions in the scenario described above?

Message 12 of 12
stroxy
in reply to: stroxy

OK sorted D'uh .... Click on loads icon and scroll through nodes and adjust manually

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report