Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Too small distance between reinforcement layers" when distance seems fine?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Opel5
2365 Views, 11 Replies

"Too small distance between reinforcement layers" when distance seems fine?

Morning All,

I'm trying to allocate 150mm deep RC slabs for very small cantilever spans. Whenever I go 150mm or  below I get the warning / error (not sure which as it doesn't say) of:

"Too small distance between reinforcement layers, for panel ** it is 14.7% of it's section. The incoherence error may occur".

The slabs are 150mm thick with 30mm cover. 150mm thick is overkill for such a low loaded and low span panel. Screenshot of the panel (highlighted red) attached. On analysis the "required reinforcement" comes out as 2 layers of A252 mesh T&B for this 150mm slab (screenshot for this also attached), therefore distance between T&B reinforcement is much > 14.7% of the section... Is the message a false warning?

Thanks,

Scott

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Opel5

Could you make the screen capture of the last tab (reinforcement) of the reinforcement parameters assigned to the discussed panel please?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 12
Opel5
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Hi Artur,

See attached.

Thanks

Message 4 of 12
Artur.Kosakowski

Actually I need this one Smiley Happy

reinf paramaters.PNG

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 12
Opel5

oops sorry, see attached 🙂

Message 6 of 12
Artur.Kosakowski

Apparently you created the label for a different reinforcement database than you have currently declared in the job preferences which results in values of selected bar diameters not being visible. In general the discussed value is calculated as:

( panel thickness - d1 - d1' - d2 - d2' - c1 - c2) / panel thickness

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 12
Opel5

Hi Artur,

I've checked job preferences but can't see anywhere where a custom reinforcement allocation has been selected. Materials are still general concrete there. The purpose of the "30mmcover28day" reinforcement property was to control cover and also the shuttering time in case the contractor wanted to remove shuttering at say 7 days later on.

Is there a way to switch off this warning / error message that keeps popping up then if it's a false positive?

Many Thanks,

Scott

Message 8 of 12
Artur.Kosakowski

Scott,

The message is more informative as the calculations are performed in the same way as if the clear distance was larger. You may try to define a new reinforcement label selecting 8 mm bar diameter as used for the wire fabric type you mentioned and run reinforcement calculations again. My assumption is that the diameter you selected for the label you defined was bigger.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 12
Opel5

Hi Artur,

I've swapped the floor slab back to the default "RC Shell" reinforcement property which stops the false warning from popping up.

Regarding the "28day30mmcover" reinforcement property, I left the reinforcement section in that property blank as the property is being used for slabs of widely ranging thickness, span and reinforcement density in the building. It was mostly to control the shutter removal / loading time.

Thanks for the speedy responses 🙂 Good to know it's not an issue.

Scott

Message 10 of 12

Dear Artur, 

So what value will give the warning for too small distance? 

@Artur.Kosakowskiwrote:

Apparently you created the label for a different reinforcement database than you have currently declared in the job preferences which results in values of selected bar diameters not being visible. In general the discussed value is calculated as:

( panel thickness - d1 - d1' - d2 - d2' - c1 - c2) / panel thickness

> ??? 

Thanks in advance 

Message 11 of 12

Hi @m_sheinin

The message is displayed when either the top and bottom layer reinforcement 'overlap' or there is a very small distance among them (I don't remember exactly at this moment). 

Artur Kosakowski
Message 12 of 12

Thanks for the response. 

Can you give me a small example?

I have 200 mm thick slab with 4 layers top and bottom in every direction with the cover of 50 mm.  And Robot gives me the warning that's why I asked the question. 

200 mm Slab200 mm Slab

Thanks in advance 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report