Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with saving results and very slow steel verificaction

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
PatrickEC
1137 Views, 12 Replies

Problems with saving results and very slow steel verificaction

I have been using recently the steel design module in Robot and yesterday it started working much slower than before - same model, same settings. Additionally, I started experiencing problems with saving analysis results. I suspect these two issues are related.

This is my workflow and observation:
1. I run verification of 35 columns, each combines two or three members, multiple manual brace points are defined.
2. I saved the file with the option to save analysis results in separate file. At some point I decided to save without results, but this did not work. The results were still getting saved. Later on I was just clicking save icon and I was getting a message warning that the option to save without results was selected, which I kept ignoring.
3. At some point I needed to work on a copy, so I copied both the main file and the result file and renamed them both. The result were available in this new copy. I created several such copies.
4. I realized that steel verification started running very slowly.
5. I exported a fresh copy from Revit, run analysis and verification for this new file was also very slow.
6. Additionally, I had problems here with saving the results. First time I run analysis and cick save (results in external file disabled) nothing happened - the file size did not change and when I reopened the results were gone. Then I rerun the analysis and clicked save and Robot crashed. The third time I tried the results finally got saved.
7. I opened the file on other machine and it was slow as well.
8. I exported another copy and move to another machine. Run analysis on that machine and the steel verification was ok - fast.

It seems to me that Robot started messing files when running analysis and saving results. At first I thought the problem was specific to the particular model, but exporting a new model did not help. So it looks like some internal settings in Robot got corrupted? I tried to reinstall, but it did not help.

I am considering reinstalling my operating system to install a clean copy of Robot, but with tight deadlines I would like to avoid it and come on... the last time I had to do it because of buggy software was probably in the windows 98 era. I suspect you will not be able to identify the exact problem, because it is probably a result of multiple bugs that obviously exist in Robot, but maybe you can instruct me how to to clean uninstall Robot, so that I would not have to reinstall the whole machine. Or maybe I can clean some temporary setting that may be causing this.

BTW: when used on iPad the page breaks in a new post are lost

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: PatrickEC

2. I saved the file with the option to save analysis results in separate file. At some point I decided to save without results, but this did not work. 

Change filename after selecting different type of file (rtd or rtd without results)

7. I opened the file on other machine and it was slow as well.

Send us original = "fast file" and "slow file" to check.

Or maybe I can clean some temporary setting that may be causing this.

Clear windows %temp% folder, clear robot cfgusr folder before next robot start

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 13
PatrickEC
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Rafał:

I cannot post the models publicly on the forum due to confidentiality, but I send you a private message with the models.

Message 4 of 13
mleonard01

Hi Rafal

Having the same problem.

Document takes very long to verify steel members.

Had the same structure with a moving load and the verfication took long the first time it was run, but after ran quickly. Then we changed the direction of the mvoing load on the same structure and now the verification is slow, both for the first  file with the original moving load and the new file with the changed location.

Even tried only verifying 1 group of members at a time and that also takes long.

Your assistance please?

Margarita

Message 5 of 13
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: mleonard01

Margarita,

Could you be so kind and send us such file?

It would be welcome if you have pair of file : fast + slow and send them to us.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 6 of 13
Rafal.Gaweda

It might be related to change of results file type (fast file - results in rt_ ; slow file inside rtd). 

Procedure how to corect it:
- open slow file

- go to job preferences and save them as default

- start new project

- open slow file in repair mode

- check settings

- calculate model

- set saving results in external file: rt_

- save as rtd WITH results , under new filename

- restart robot, load saved file

Rafal Gaweda
Message 7 of 13
PatrickEC

Today, I had again a problem with slow steel design. I have recently kept saving results in a single file, but apparently it did not help. I used your workaround and steel design got fixed. But now when I want to update to Revit (I said I gave up on trying to use the update feature and I keep my promise, just wanted to test if maybe at least updating sections for selected members would work) and I get "The Robot Structural Analysis model was not created from any Revit Structure model.". I guess this is because of recovering the Robot file. So either I have a corrupted Robot file or I lose my connection to Revit... What can I do?

Message 8 of 13
PatrickEC

This happens to me all the time. I had to recover the file three times today. Each time wasting lots of time on re-running calculations.

Message 9 of 13
PatrickEC

One scenario when it happens and I do not have to repair the file:

1. File is ok = fast steel design.

2. Save as under new name.

3. Slow steel design.

4. Restart Robot and reopen the file. Fixed, steel design fast again.

Message 10 of 13
Rafal.Gaweda

Thx.Developers are investigating this issue already.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 11 of 13
mleonard01

Used the procedure you indicated. Had to do it twice though and then no problems. Another worker had the same problem - again had to go through the procedure twice and now working fine.

Message 12 of 13
PatrickEC

I wonder if there is any progress with this issue?

I just spent 40 minutes waiting for the model to run, just to learn that I have this issue again and verifing 30 columns takes 15 minutes.

Message 13 of 13
PatrickEC

Meanwhile, here is a small trick for others having to deal with this issue:

SOMETIMES it helps to save the file under a new name, close Robot and reopen the file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report