Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with calculation nodes

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
tony.ridley
2544 Views, 4 Replies

Problem with calculation nodes

Hi guys,

I'm getting large (220kNm) moment in bracing!

error in bracing moments.JPG

It seems that the moment is coming from shear in the beam crossing almost mid brace;

shear in beams.JPG

Calculation nodes are being applied at the intersection of diagonal members which it should not be doing. Where members 492 and 493 intersect 106

additional calc nodes.JPG 

The settings are not turned on to allow this.  So it seems strange calculation nodes appear. 

calc nodes settings.JPG

When I copy the 3 members to a sub-model and re-analyse, the problem goes away. 

Can you guys explain why the forces are being transferred through calculation nodes that should not be there?

Model attached in private message. 

Cheers,

Tony

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
tony.ridley
in reply to: tony.ridley

Update,

I did the CTRL+A and paste into a new model trick.  This did not stop the problem.  The only thing that made the problem go away was adding the bracing members to the "Bars neglected in generation" list. 

Cheers,

Tony

Message 3 of 5

The only thing that made the problem go away was adding the bracing members to the "Bars neglected in generation" list. 

and this is what should be done as the vertical/horizontal intersection includes also vertical/horizontal  to avoid intersection of the horizontal cladding with diagonal bars

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 4 of 5

Artur,

Sorry, I disagree with your answer and also your screen capture.  

I set up two system with same load, one has perpendicular members, one has angle of 135deg

Picture 1 - Setup

setup.JPG

See results below;

Picture 2 - With "normal" settings

shot 1.JPG

Picture 3 - calculation nodes

shot 3.JPG

Picture 4 - With both diagonal and vertical intersection checked ON.

shot 2.JPG

By your explanation, picture 2 should show bending moment on ALL 4 bars.  I only ever get bending moment on 3 of them.  I use this as one of the first examples I do when teaching people how to use Robot.  I have NEVER had diagonal bracing form a connection with a horizontal member UNLESS I turn on the checkbox to achieve it.

Regards,

Tony

Message 5 of 5

Tony,

I'm sorry my mistake. Of course it should be the intersection with the cladding (498). I will remove the attachment and update my previous answer so that nobody gets wrong information any more.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums