Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem due to instability

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Engineer3636
635 Views, 10 Replies

Problem due to instability

Hi,

I have the attached structure which I am trying to analyse as simple bar model. I am getting instabilty errors of type 1 and 2. I can not see the reason why.

see below link.

I have also taken the same file and reduced the model by deleting the 2 bays on the left hand side and it only throws up 2 errors. Please also see attached.

Can someone please help me and tell me how to resolve this issue.

The link for the models is

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/254de92e44cb1618012c1f638f08a1db20140325143401/3eefae8d519f6df1...

Thanks

Daniel

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

You either need to add RY supports (see the attached picture) or remove RY release from the Screw one.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 11
Engineer3636
in reply to: Engineer3636

Artur, thanks for your quick reply.

Yea, this is the only way I can remove errors but if I put a support Ry at the ends of the 50x50 boxes - in reality (ie on site) do I have to provide a support here?

Regards

Daniel

Message 4 of 11

In reality there has to be something that prevents rotation of these beams along their own axes e.g. the fact that they lay on something Smiley Wink

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 11

See attached connection between 50x50 and 100x50. It sits directly againsteach other. I assume this is what you mean?

I assume there is no other way to model this?

Thanks again.

Daniel

Message 6 of 11
Engineer3636

Connection.PNG

Message 7 of 11

contact surface.PNG

Artur Kosakowski
Message 8 of 11
Engineer3636

Ok, Artur.

There will be some rotation but it will be minimum. How do you do elastic support or release you mention. and how do you calculate what value to put in to say how fixed it is?

Thanks

Daniel

Message 9 of 11

Just enter the value for RY on the elastic tab of either support or release definition dialog. What value to enter is going to be your decision. I would start with fully fixed rotation and check the values of MY to see if there is any significant bending there.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 10 of 11
Engineer3636

I have restraint 1 end of all the 50x50 boxes and looking at the reactions I have no values. To me this means that I dont need a bracket and the bending is insignificant. Can you have a quick check to see if my assumption is right. I have also attached the section and plan of the parts I am trying to analyse.

This is very much appreciated and the service provided by yourself and autodesk is very good for new users.

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/d7b39d7bee9839090654618a80abce4b20140326084403/382411

Regards

Daniel

Message 11 of 11

There is no value of MY bending in the additional supports you created therefore there is no rotation of the HSS sections. In other words these supports help in avoiding the instabilities but don't influence the results.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report