Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plate (shell elements) buckling

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
corne_mo
3268 Views, 8 Replies

Plate (shell elements) buckling

I have a steel plate, say 2000x1000x10 mm, which will be lifted in vertical position.

This will be done by adding two lifting lugs on the side (in this case the 2000x1000mm area) of the plate and using a sling to lift the plate.

Due to the excentricity of the lifting lugs the plate will rotate a little bit, due to which the plate will bend (it is not exactly vertical anymore and gravity will make the plate bend). Due to the slings a horizontal compressive force is introduced which can make the plate buckle.

I want to model the plate using shell elements and calculate the deformation and stresses using this model.

Is there a way in Robot to also check the buckling of this plate in the situation mentioned above?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: corne_mo

You can run buckling analysis for a shell model.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 9
corne_mo

Can you please tell me how I can run such an analysis?

And what is the result of the analysis? A load multiplier?

Message 4 of 9
Artur.Kosakowski

Can you please tell me how I can run such an analysis?

In the same way as for a bar structure. You need to change the analysis type

And what is the result of the analysis? A load multiplier?

Correct.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 9
jccubi

Hi, I am a new RSA user and I have run a buckling analysis for a shell under axial compresion. However, I cannot find information in the results menu about if the plate is buckling or not. Could you help me with this.

Message 6 of 9
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: jccubi

1. Run buckling analysis for more than 1 mode

2. Check the value of the critical coefficient 

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 9
jccubi
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Thanks Artur for your quick reply. I have spent some time looking for a defintion of "critical coeff." in the RSA help file but I couldn't find it. Could you please provide it for me? Is there in RSA a routine calculation for the shell ultimate strength?

Message 8 of 9
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: jccubi

I have spent some time looking for a defintion of "critical coeff." in the RSA help file but I couldn't find it.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Robot-Structural-Analysis/Negative-critical-coefficients-in-buckling-a...

Is there in RSA a routine calculation for the shell ultimate strength?

I'm not sure if i understand you correctly but you may want to check values of stresses e.g. von Misses either on a map or in the table.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 9
jccubi

Thank you Artur. Let me put my doubt in a clearer way in file attached. Could you pease check my conclusions?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report