Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plate Buckling Clarification

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
richardwhitfield
545 Views, 4 Replies

Plate Buckling Clarification

Hello,

I am quickly trying to see whether buckling of the plate will be a governing case for a simple connection that I am looking at.

I just wanted to check that my approach was correct for this...

I have modelled everything in Shell type structures so that I have all degrees of freedom available.  I have then applied the self weight (almost negligible) and a point ULS live load (hence why the factor in the load combination is only 1).

I have selected non linear buckling analysis in my analysis parameters and run the analysis for 10 mode shapes.

I have then looked at the mode types to see which are applicable to the type of loading that is applied (for the attached model I believe that modes 6, 8 and 9 are applicable and because of other factors for me case 8 is really the critical one).

I have then opened up the critical loads table and checked the coefficient for buckling at the critical case which appears to be approx. 330 for a 16mm thk plate (despite this thickness being called 12thk - i upped this to reduce the plate stresses).  330 Seems like a very high factor for this situation, it means that a load of approx. 1420kN would be required to induce buckling which seems unlikely and hence my trepidation.

I attach my model for you to have a look at.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Regards,

Richard

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Richard,

Maths gives you results as shown below

From engineering point of view you should

look at positive values -> most dangerous are always coeffs <= 1.

In your case the firts positive is 103.

mode2.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 5
tony.ridley
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Rafal,

"Maths", or maps??

Message 4 of 5
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: tony.ridley

English is not my native language 😉 you know but I mean "mathemathical calculations"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics

Rafal Gaweda
Message 5 of 5
tony.ridley
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Ah OK.  sorry I wasn't trying to be rude!  Smiley Very Happy

but thanks for the link anyway!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report