Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pile cap model in robot

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
an.pisey
1497 Views, 5 Replies

Pile cap model in robot

Dear all members,

Please kindly give me a concept modelling for Pile cap desiging in autodesk robot. I used to model as a slab whose thinkness is equal to the real pile cap. The piles are modelled as column under slab and column above pile cap are model as a column. Finally the result of pinching shear is not satified and rc bar is also so high comparing to manual caculation

Thank you so much,

Pisey

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
AJA14
in reply to: an.pisey

Hi, I'm not sure how the Robot People would do it so it would be good to know. What we usually do is model the piles as elastic supports and use rigid links to model the full pile behaviour (by adding nodes on the pile periphery and providing rigid links with the center of the pile). As for the column, we use a distributed load instead of a nodal force. Give it a try.

When it comes to modeling anything, there are so many ways, but I think the Robot guys probably know the best way to receive accurate results.

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 3 of 6
tony.ridley
in reply to: AJA14

You could use the plane stress option but this won't check for required reo or for punching shear automatically.  

However it will give you the stresses that you need to provide reo for.

I think if you model it as a slab element it won't be accurate as Robot will assume the slab/shell is a flexural member.  

I think you normally use a strut/tie method for pile caps which will result in different amounts of reinforcement than you'd get from flexural design analogy.  

Tony

Message 4 of 6

Message 5 of 6
an.pisey
in reply to: tony.ridley

Dear Tony,

yes, I think you have reason. anyway, do you think Robot can design element in Struct and Tied analysis methode or not? could you give me some idea, if i want to calculate Pile Cap by Robot as i want to check punching shear also.

Thanks,

Pisey

Message 6 of 6
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: an.pisey

'do you think Robot can design element in Struct and Tied analysis methode'

No, this method is not available.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report