Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photovoltaic Mounting System

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
mrdrakopoulos
1063 Views, 18 Replies

Photovoltaic Mounting System

I am going to use to Robot for the analysis of a Photovoltaic Mounting System which is made amongst other things with thin walled section C purlins.

Can Robot design such sections after i create the exact profile in the section designer wizard? 

Thanks in advance!

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

yes you can

after saving in databae you have to modify its record using Section Database viewer specifying correct shape type, thicknesses EA ES.

Then in bar type for EC you have to enable thin walled design

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 19
Message 4 of 19

Thanks for the replies.

If i understand correctly by reading the link of the similar topic, we don't need to draw a new section since we cannot add it to the cold formed section database.

We can although use an existing section and alter its dimensions in order to create a section similar to the one we want to study.

I will give it a try and get back to you if i fail during the process!

Regards,

Manos

Message 5 of 19

I am afraid i cannot get it right!

After reading the related post again carefully i have the following question regarding the following quote :

''The thin walled section symbols are not available from this list directly. I would recommend to use the Section database browser and open the family of sections similar to the one you want to create. Then you can copy and paste the selected line to create a new section by editing the values of the properties as well as the section name.''

Where exactly do you cut n paste the selected line of the section?

Message 6 of 19

You can try to copy the line from the existing database to the user one and edit the values there.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 19
Rafacascudo
in reply to: mrdrakopoulos

In section database window, there´s a table below the section drawing.This table is editable.

Rafael Medeiros
Robot Structural Analysis

Message 8 of 19
mrdrakopoulos
in reply to: Rafacascudo

I am so sorry to ask again Smiley Embarassed but since i still haven't managed to solve my problem i get back to you.

I will try and explain the steps i make 

1) I draw my desired section in section designer module

2) Run calculations to get all necessary section properties

3) Open section database

4) Create a new user database

5) Copy a section from i.e SadePro database to my user database

6) Manually edit the properties of that section with the results from the calculations of step 2

So i sum up to the following questions:

a) Can i assign the section in step 1 to the user database in step 6

b) when i choose to save the section in step 1. it is saved in a user database different from the ones with the .*pro suffix 

I guess that is quite it!

Anyway thanks a lot for the support!!

Regards,

Manos

Message 9 of 19

It seems that some databases has internal different structure and it may happen it is not possible to copy sections by clipboard from one to another database.

Do it this way: 

1) I draw my desired section in section designer module

2) Run calculations to get all necessary section properties

3) Copy SadePro database onto new one ->new_user

4) Using Section Database viewer clear it, set correct properties, unmark "Standard" in database properties

5) Open new_user section database in job preferences

6) Copy a section from i.e SadePro database to new_user database

7) Manually edit the properties of that section with the results from the calculations of step 2

a) Can i assign the section in step 1 to the user database in step 6

Yes, program handles properly all databases

b) when i choose to save the section in step 1. it is saved in a user database different from the ones with the .*pro suffix 

All sections \ PROfiles databases have suffix pro 

pro.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 10 of 19

This really helps! Thank you very much!
Message 11 of 19

I created the attached sections below as solid sections in Section Designer, because when i tried to import them as thin-walled sections i could not calculate the necessary elastic moduli Wel etc.

Then when i chose to save it to database only user database is available and from what i could understand the specific database called RUSERpro.

When i open Section Database RUSER the above sections are not available and therefore i cannot assign them the specific ID i.e 1001 etc as to perform the thin walled design for my model.

When i tried the steel design one of the errors stated that since i have defined it as a solid section thin-walled section analysis could not be performed.

I am still a bit confusedSmiley Sad

Message 12 of 19

Then when i chose to save it to database only user database is available and from what i could understand the specific database called RUSERpro.

If you see section database name USER -> database file name is called ruserpro.xml

When i open Section Database RUSER the above sections are not available and therefore i cannot assign them the specific ID i.e 1001 etc as to perform the thin walled design for my model.

Restart Robot and check

Rafal Gaweda
Message 13 of 19

No change, and i noticed that i cannot alter the units of the user database from in,lb to SI units

Please check the following pics

Message 14 of 19

@mrdrakopoulos wrote:

No change, and i noticed that i cannot alter the units of the user database from in,lb to SI units

Please check the following pics

Open database by File \ Open :

"c:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Structural\Common Data\2011\ruserpro.xml" 

Units display:

displayunits.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 15 of 19

I thought the units might have something to do with it.

The only section that appears in the section database ruserpro.xml is the one shown in picture1, all the others although i can choose to use them in my model do not appear in the database!

Message 16 of 19

Search whole C: driver for ruserpro.xml

Check all found to find which one contains new sections then open in in Section Viewer

Rafal Gaweda
Message 17 of 19

Still i cannot find where the sections are saved.

I tried to import one of the sections i saved in the user database into the section definition but still the only one i get to choose is only one default section!

What i cannot understand how it is possibly to choose those section in the model and not in the section definition and section database !!Smiley Frustrated

Message 18 of 19

Check Private Message.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 19 of 19
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

c:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Structural\Common Data\2011\ruserpro.xml" 

Keep in mind that AppData folder is hidden folder.

Rafal Gaweda

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report