Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Participation masses are not satisfactory

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1402 Views, 5 Replies

Participation masses are not satisfactory

Hi There,

I am modelling a Chimney, 85m high. I am using the Dynamic-seismic analysis to UBC2009. To start I have only activated masses on X-direction to achieve 90% mass participation. I am getting error message, "Participation masses are not satisfactory". I have run the model without any mass participation target and it gives me about 45% only. How can I increase the mass participation? Is there anything wrong in the model?

Also, when we perform a dynamic or a modal analysis with masses in all three directions (x, y, z); how do we know that the frequency we are getting is in horizontal X or Y direction. The thing I want to know is, if the robot is reporting the local frequency of the structure rather than the overall structural frequency. 

I have attached the model. You help is appreciated.

Raju

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Anonymous

I am modelling a Chimney, 85m high. I am using the Dynamic-seismic analysis to UBC2009. To start I have only activated masses on X-direction to achieve 90% mass participation. I am getting error message, "Participation masses are not satisfactory". I have run the model without any mass participation target and it gives me about 45% only. How can I increase the mass participation? 

You need to increase the number of modes to be calculated.

Also, when we perform a dynamic or a modal analysis with masses in all three directions (x, y, z); how do we know that the frequency we are getting is in horizontal X or Y direction. The thing I want to know is, if the robot is reporting the local frequency of the structure rather than the overall structural frequency. 

Both. You can check the shape of vibrations or look at the current mass in given direction.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Hi Artur,

Thank you for your quick response.

I was under impression that if I chose for 90% participation, Robot will automaticaly work out the number of modes required. Looks like this is not the case.

I tried incresing the number of modes to 25 and I gives me 88%. I have checked all the modes and what I have noticed is that the deformation shapes appears to be local rather than global. Is there any way to get the overall global mode shapes only rather than the local vibrations? I was expecting more like a mode shapes in textbook where higher modes have multiple sine curves.

I am also interested in the first mode natural frequency which is 0.87 as per Robot. Looking at the deflection shape it looks that the first mode is correct but the mass participation is only 42%, do you think it may have been affected by local vibration?

Can you please confirm that my understanding regarding the Robot's dynamic analysis as follows is correct;

1. The analysis I am doing above ("Seismic") is a modal analysis.
  2. "Spectral" and "Seismic" analysis are similar except in "Spectral" analysis we need to input site specific spectrum. If we input the Specturm as per the code (like based on ASCE 7-05 Sd1 and Sds) then Seismic and Spectral should give similar results.
  3. When we prepare Spectra (acceralation Vs time) the Sd1 and Sds should be multiplied by g(gravity). Is there any sample Spectra? I could not find on the Robot setup folders.

Thank you,

Raju

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Hi Artur,

Sorry, I missed the screen shots you had sent before replying. You have suggested to use 50 modes.

Raju

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Artur,

Sorry, I missed the screen shots you had sent before replying. You have suggested to use 50 modes.

Raju

Try using pseudo seismic and set mass participation to 90%.. this option will make robot run modes further until it reaches mass participation of 90% on given directions.

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Hi MIT-BsCE,

Thank you for your help. I will try your suggestion. Also can you please help me reagrding the other query that I have in my post above.

Raju

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report