Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Panel contour points modification (API)

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
sergey.churilov
2324 Views, 26 Replies

Panel contour points modification (API)

Hi,

Is there any way to present panel contour points (coordinates X, Y, Z) in a table like the table available for nodes?

I do not want table for each individual panel, but a table which presents all contour points for all defined panels in a model on one sheet.

This could be helpful for fast correction of the contour points coordinates, especially in cases without precise geometry where the 9th decimal place at a coordinate makes all the difference between a good or bad mesh.

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
Message 3 of 27

No, this is possible only for one panel at a time but I would suggest considering the use of the detailed correction option and adjust the model either structural axes or indicated planes instead.

See e.g. http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Robot-Structural/Detailed-Correction/m-p/3079956

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 4 of 27

@Tony

Hi Tony, I have been reading many of your post and I found out that we have come to the same problems in using Robot. I have been using Robot for 10 years, but some of the questions/problems still remain unsolved even in the latest releases.

Anyway, I will try and use the macro excel file that were provided and let you know my experience

@Artur

This option works sometimes, but not always. The problems about contour points misalignment still remains on some panels.

Message 5 of 27

I run the spreadsheet in the link, but I add a few columns to fix the rounding issues. 

ie =fixed(cell,3)

then i replace the original columns in the spreadsheet before I hit update.

I use it on an almost daily basis and find it works really well.

Tony

Message 6 of 27
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: tony.ridley

Is this general improvement? If so maybe we can update xls ?

Rafal Gaweda
Message 7 of 27
tony.ridley
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

If the problem where rounding of decimal points for node co-ordinates is not linked to the user defined job units is not fixed in future Robot versions, then yes.  (sorry still havn't used 2013)

If not, then the spreadsheet needs an update to include a rounding feature.  I have already done this though, shortly after you provided it.  This panel geometry sheet you made is one of my favourites.  Gets used almost daily.   

Tony

Message 8 of 27
Rafal.Gaweda

If the problem where rounding of decimal points for node co-ordinates is not linked to the user defined job units is not fixed in future Robot versions, then yes.  (sorry still havn't used 2013)

Rounding is not impemented but... thru API it can be done.

I will see. 🙂

If not, then the spreadsheet needs an update to include a rounding feature.  I have already done this though, shortly after you provided it.  This panel geometry sheet you made is one of my favourites.  Gets used almost daily.   

Nice to hear that.

Update xls and share.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 9 of 27
tony.ridley

Yes Sir.

Monday!

too late on Friday now to make the brain do this

Message 10 of 27

Please do so. I tried the sheet provided in the other post.

It works perfectly. Its a miracle. Thank you so much.

BTW is there any Robot open source manual or tutorial available to download?

This just imposed many ideas I would like to implement for other analysis needs.

Message 11 of 27

This is the problem with Rafal's spreadsheets.  Every time one comes along, it makes you want more!

Message 12 of 27

Hahaha Smiley Happy

I tried ROS 7 years ago, but I was not able at that time to do something. Since this lovely sheet, my interest has grown.

Pls, do not forget to upload your updated sheet on Monday.

Message 13 of 27

Ok, I've uploaded my spreadsheet hack of Rafals' original one.  

Sorry if my VB coding is a bit schoolboy style.  

It works like this.  You can select to either fix the number of decimal points, or additionally include rounding of the data by inputting into the orange coloured cells.  

If you are happy with the rounding click accept rounding. 

Then click update Robot model

Tony

Message 14 of 27

Thank you Tony for the file.

Can you please save the file in Excel 2003 version also?

Message 15 of 27

attached

Message 16 of 27
Rafal.Gaweda

Thanks to Tony's modification I have modified macro to work on selected (by checkboxes) coordinates directions.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 17 of 27

Thnaks Rafal.

You are doing great job.

Message 18 of 27
t.sautierr

I have found you nice spreasheet to round up panel counter Rafal.

I tried to use it :

importing coordinates -> not a problem

I modify some coordinates and then I try to update -> I get a the attached error.

I assume it is a misuse, can you help?

Thx

Message 19 of 27
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: t.sautierr

Attached macro will work notonly with English robot interface.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 20 of 27
t.sautierr

Same macro with the rounddown function.

This avoid the problem for example :

point 1 : X=6.217 -> rounded 6.22

point 2 : X=6.212 -> rounded 6.21    ---> problem

rounddown will make 6.21 in both case.

NOTe : could be roundup .... 

Rafal, I'd like to implement this in the extra addin you given to us (with this .dll ou .exe) could please either modify your addin or give us the code.

I prefer your addin as it works on nodes, panel and bars and not only pannel like in the excel sheet

Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report