Robot Structural Analysis

Valued Mentor
tony.ridley
Accepted Solution

panel co-ordinates

1030 Views, 21 Replies
09-22-2011 10:59 PM

Hi,

Does anyone know a way to obtain a table of all panel coordinates in a model?

It is frustrating to try and track down where mesh inconsistencies are occuring by clicking on every panel in the model and checking that the geometry is in fact correct.

Cheers,

Tony

Please use plain text.
Product Support
Rafal.Gaweda

Re: panel co-ordinates

09-23-2011 12:54 AM in reply to: tony.ridley

Here you are

panelcoord.JPG

Rafal Gaweda
Please use plain text.
Valued Mentor
tony.ridley

09-25-2011 07:15 PM in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Rafal,

Thanks for your answer, however;

I have already been using this method to revise panel geometry.  For some reason my panel geometry was slighty out (on multiple panels) and I want to see all contour coordinates in a table.  So if I have to change the geometry on 80 panels, using your method is extremely tedious and time consuming.  If I could dump the coordinates into excel and manipulate them before re-importing them it would be better.  

For example if I have complex pattern of wall geometry and the floor height is changed, I need to click on properties for every panel on that floor and manually update the height.  This is not efficient.

Additionally, I find it annoying that Robot does not round the coordinate (of the node, panel etc) to the same number of decimal places as the user setting for dimension?  

ie In parameters definition I have set dimensions to metres and three decimal places (1.012m for example).  So how/why can the panel contour have a position of 1.01200025?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Tony

Please use plain text.
Product Support
Rafal.Gaweda

09-26-2011 01:29 AM in reply to: tony.ridley

tony.ridley wrote:

....... If I could dump the coordinates into excel and manipulate them before re-importing them it would be better.  

No problem, just write small VB macro in Excell  accessing robot data via its API doing such operations.

Additionally, I find it annoying that Robot does not round the coordinate (of the node, panel etc) to the same number of decimal places as the user setting for dimension?  

"Round up" function is registsred in our database as an enhancement and it will \ may be considered in future developement plans.

Rafal Gaweda
Please use plain text.
Product Support
Rafal.Gaweda

09-28-2011 05:33 AM in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

....... If I could dump the coordinates into excel and manipulate them before re-importing them it would be better.  

No problem, just write small VB macro in Excell  accessing robot data via its API doing such operations.

Take a look at attched xls with macro.One button to import geometry (characteriscic points coordinates) of selected panel(s), second - to update panel(s) geometry basing on data in Excell. NOTE: modify only cells with coordinates.

Rafal Gaweda
Please use plain text.
Valued Mentor
tony.ridley

09-28-2011 06:06 PM in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Rafal,

Genius - your macro worked a charm.  

My faith in Autodesk / Robot is stronger now!

Tony

Please use plain text.
Distinguished Contributor
gustavo.c.vasconcellos

03-14-2012 07:23 AM in reply to: tony.ridley

Dear Rafal,

I tried to use your macro and I received the error message: " Structure Type Should be Plate or Shell" ... but the calculation mode is set as shell, and the structure object is Panel.

What am I doing wrong?

Obrigado ... I mean Thanks

Gustavo

Please use plain text.
Product Support
Rafal.Gaweda

03-14-2012 08:12 AM in reply to: gustavo.c.vasconcellos

Try this macro

Rafal Gaweda
Please use plain text.
Distinguished Contributor
gustavo.c.vasconcellos

03-14-2012 12:20 PM in reply to: tony.ridley

Bingo!!!

Please use plain text.
Valued Mentor
tony.ridley

03-14-2012 03:24 PM in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

How is this version different?

The previous one worked no problem at all.  This one gives me the error "must be plate or shell"

Please use plain text.