Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Openings in Concrete Shell

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Simon404
1594 Views, 13 Replies

Openings in Concrete Shell

Hi All,

Firstly great work with the support and forum, keep it up.

In regard to adding openings to panels. Is there an easier way to place openings other than the 'opening tool box' offset command. Why can you not snap to a node, grid etc. It seems a bit sloppy for trying to add multiple openings.

I ended up placing the opening randomly. Then using the move command to snap to a node.

My next problem is trying to copy openings. I need to add in total around 500 openings to a panel, to than add slab thickenings (pile cap) in their place. Multiple crashes later, this process will now take most of the day, as im trying to reduce the copy repetitions to a portion that doesnt crash the program.

Any suggestions?

image.PNG

My PC specs are pretty good...

Cheers

Simon

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Simon404

It sounds as if you were using different program than Robot Smiley Happy

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 14
Simon404
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

OK thanks!

To summarise for everyone, your suggesting that by copying a panel onto another panel, it will automatically create an opening in the original, so there is no double up of mesh/material.

That works for me cheers. The only problem for me now is copying 10 panels by 50 repetitions, the PC/software doesnt like that (probably doesnt help the panels are circles), but not much you can do to help me on that.

I can reduce the repetitions I guess... I have had some luck previously by using recovery mode for some extra speed. Is this a suitable way of trying to model larger structures?

Message 4 of 14
Ken_Marsh

I just tried this operation (small-ish circles, copy 10 one way and then select those 10 and copy 10 times the other way) and my system is pegged at full CPU for several minutes (and it's still not done).  This seems like a bug, this is only createing circle objects, not (as far as I know) creating openings in the slab.  Seems like performance for this operation should not be nearly this slow.  I can send you a model for the developers if you need.

Ken Marsh
Owner Marsh API
Message 5 of 14
Simon404
in reply to: Ken_Marsh

HI Ken, Yes I am also monitoring the Cpu, 4 cores and only one maxing out.

This is probably another topic... (when can we get the Gpu to do this.....) / use all cores...

Ill try the same task with rectanglur panels to see if it the same software freezing occurs.

Cpu usage.PNG

Message 6 of 14
Ken_Marsh

I finally killed the process after about 20 minutes.  Seems like it shouldn't take that much time.  😉

Ken Marsh
Owner Marsh API
Message 7 of 14
Simon404

Yes definetly a problem with the circle panels. Its been freezing the progam all of yesterday for me, except if it was only a very small number of copies.

Rectangle panels copy across in 15sec.

Message 8 of 14
Artur.Kosakowski

Ken and Simon,

1. Open Preferences and switch off undo

2. Save file

3. Restart Robot

4. Open file

5. Make copy

If you have the same situation attach your models and indicate the steps to follow please. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 14

Hi Artur,

In attached model, select 10 circle objects and copy down the page 10 times (creating a total of 100 circles)

cheers,

Ken Marsh
Owner Marsh API
Message 10 of 14
Simon404
in reply to: Ken_Marsh

As above, Copy 9 circle panels by a repetition of 10 etc.

Message 11 of 14
Artur.Kosakowski

Thank both of you. We will investigate this situation.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 12 of 14
Simon404
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Hi Artur,

Was this issue reviewed, and if so was it fixed in the new service pack.

Thanks

Simon

Message 13 of 14
OscarGaunt

Was there a solution to this in the end? I am having very similar problems!

Thanks

Message 14 of 14

Improved in Robot 2016.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report