Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nodes Rotations - Local Axes (API)

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Dirgs
2759 Views, 11 Replies

Nodes Rotations - Local Axes (API)

Hi!

I need to extract node rotations data from my model. The problem is that only rotations according to global coordinate system are available. In several cases, I need the local support displacements and rotations to find suitable bearing device. 

As you can see in following, the node rotations from the supports don't match the coordinates from the adjacent bar in which I need them.

Local Rotations1.PNG

Can I some how get the data I need? Even if I create a different support oriented accordingly the bar axis, I don't see where I get the rotations in that coordinates...

In attach I put the refereed model.

I used a worksheet  to extract this data by API based on previous post on the forum, I also attached it.

Thanks

Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: Dirgs

Nodal Displacement results are presented in Global CS

Reactions can be reported in Local coordinate system of support.

realoc.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 12
Dirgs
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

"Nodal Displacement results are presented in Global CS

Reactions can be reported in Local coordinate system of support."

I know that. My question is if is possible to get the Node Displacements / Rotations in some LOCAL CS which I define.

Take for example, when I need to define a simple pinned support is some LOCAL CS, maybe I don't need only the reactions values.

Like the example in the picture below, if nodes 3 and 7 represent the bearing equipment fixed on XX and free on YY oriented towards the frame center, besides the reaction values I have also to know  the displacements/rotations in those nodes, in that particular CS.

For this simple example, I should check the allowed displacements on YY, and get no displacements on XX.

Example.PNG

Does the program store internally this data somewhere??...

I already try to get them by the bar deflection tables, but only the displacements on LOCAL CS of the bar are presented, don't let me to get rotations on start and end node of the bar in it LOCAL CS.

Please, if what I'm talking about is not possible, exploit some other indirect ways to get these rotations and illuminate me. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 12
Rafacascudo

You could rotate the whole structure in a way that for that particular support the global corrdinate system will match the bar´s local coordinate system. Of course, if you have 4 different supports regarding bar´s local directions ,then you´ll have to run 4 different models.

Rafael Medeiros
Robot Structural Analysis

Message 5 of 12
Dirgs
in reply to: Rafacascudo

Yes, in the particullary case I'm studing I have 48 different supports (different LOCAL CS)....Smiley Frustrated

Message 6 of 12
Rafal.Gaweda

I know that. My question is if is possible to get the Node Displacements / Rotations in some LOCAL CS which I define.

Only by API:

- get transformation matrix for (each) bar: 

Dim mtx(3, 3) As Double, 
Bar.GetLocalMtx mtx(0, 0), mtx(0, 1), mtx(0, 2), mtx(1, 0), mtx(1, 1), mtx(1, 2), mtx(2, 0), mtx(2, 1), mtx(2, 2)

- then transform results from GCS to LCS this way I guess:

'F(x,y,z)
newvals(0) = vals(0) * mtx(0, 0) + vals(1) * mtx(0, 1) + vals(2) * mtx(0, 2)
newvals(1) = vals(0) * mtx(1, 0) + vals(1) * mtx(1, 1) + vals(2) * mtx(1, 2)
newvals(2) = vals(0) * mtx(2, 0) + vals(1) * mtx(2, 1) + vals(2) * mtx(2, 2)
'M(x,y,z)
newvals(3) = vals(3) * mtx(0, 0) + vals(4) * mtx(0, 1) + vals(5) * mtx(0, 2)
newvals(4) = vals(3) * mtx(1, 0) + vals(4) * mtx(1, 1) + vals(5) * mtx(1, 2)
newvals(5) = vals(3) * mtx(2, 0) + vals(4) * mtx(2, 1) + vals(5) * mtx(2, 2)

Rafal Gaweda
Message 7 of 12
Dirgs

I'll try and reply later. Thanks

Message 8 of 12
Dirgs

Smiley Sad

I cannot make the API to work.

Dim mtx(3, 3) As Double

Bar.GetLocalMtx mtx(0, 0), mtx(0, 1), mtx(0, 2), mtx(1, 0), mtx(1, 1), mtx(1, 2), mtx(2, 0), mtx(2, 1), mtx(2, 2)
'transform results from GCS to LCS this way I guess:
'F(x,y,z)
newvals(0) = vals(0) * mtx(0, 0) + vals(1) * mtx(0, 1) + vals(2) * mtx(0, 2)
newvals(1) = vals(0) * mtx(1, 0) + vals(1) * mtx(1, 1) + vals(2) * mtx(1, 2)
newvals(2) = vals(0) * mtx(2, 0) + vals(1) * mtx(2, 1) + vals(2) * mtx(2, 2)
'M(x,y,z)
newvals(3) = vals(3) * mtx(0, 0) + vals(4) * mtx(0, 1) + vals(5) * mtx(0, 2)
newvals(4) = vals(3) * mtx(1, 0) + vals(4) * mtx(1, 1) + vals(5) * mtx(1, 2)
newvals(5) = vals(3) * mtx(2, 0) + vals(4) * mtx(2, 1) + vals(5) * mtx(2, 2)

I copy-past the code you wrote, but the function is not define. Are the F and M values forces of the bar?

In previous API that I attached, the worksheet "Forces" are made to extract forces from bars. Suppose the node displacements should work with RobotBarDisplacementServer...

Could you please use that example to demonstrate how to transform the rotations in local coordinates of the bar and put them on the sheet?

Message 9 of 12
Rafal.Gaweda

I cannot make the API to work.

I copy-past the code you wrote, but the function is not define. Are the F and M values forces of the bar?

"copy-past the code" - too easy 🙂 this was just example what and how to use, not exact code.

This is general rule how to multiply such vector by such matrix

First you need to find bar connected to node, then get matrix...

I will write you code.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 10 of 12
Dirgs

Nice!

As I told you before, if the way to get that information is throw bar information, I will upgrade the worksheet4 "Displacements" in attachment. That get displacements for selected bars Smiley Wink Take a look on that if you don't mind.

Thanks

Message 11 of 12
Rafal.Gaweda

Enjoy !

Rafal Gaweda
Message 12 of 12
Dirgs

Perfect!Smiley Happy

For future developments, beside reactions values, nodal displacements according local axes of a defined support should be available.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report