Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBCC Seismic (Equivalent Static Method)

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
CameronEC
914 Views, 7 Replies

NBCC Seismic (Equivalent Static Method)

I have been trying to use the new NBCC 2010 Equivalent Static Method in ROBOT 2014. I have a few questions/suggestions.

See the attached picture for reference to my points.

1. The S(Ta) given seems to be incorrect. It should =Fv*Sa(Ta) =0.1 see NBCC2010 CL4.1.8.4 (7).

2. The base of my structure is at 461.2m (defined at z=461.2), The results of the force distribution come up wrong because the 1st storey is cacluated to be at 4.57m+461.2m above the base level. Is there any way to make 461.2m be the "base level" so static forces are distributed correctly (using the formula V*Wi*hi/(sumWh)

3. I was wondering if there is any way to neglect the selfweight of the structure for this analysis? Currently the selfweight has been accounted for twice since I input the DL load case into the "load to mass conversion".

NBCC20120 Equiv Static Method.png

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
tony.ridley
in reply to: CameronEC

remove DL from the load to mass conversion?
Message 3 of 8
PatrickEC
in reply to: tony.ridley

@tony.ridley wrote:
remove DL from the load to mass conversion?

Yes, if you want automatic self-weight calculations for all elements. And for sure you can adjust all your material densities and panel thicknesses and do it this way. But if you choose to have only selected self-weights calculated automatically and define loads manually for others, then you're out of luck. In modal analysis this is solved by having a checkbox "Disregard density".

Message 4 of 8
tony.ridley
in reply to: PatrickEC

Yes I understand.  I was thinking of regular spectral analysis, where you can exclude self weight, then add self weight as necessary by using a secondary load case that is added to mass via "load to mass conversion". 

It seems with equivalent static there is no way to avoid self weight, other than setting material density to Zero.  This is not very difficult in reality, but it is a pain, and you probably end up with two analysis models which is never nice.   

Maybe this feature needs to be on the wishlist for next service pack ?

Tony

Message 5 of 8

1. The S(Ta) given seems to be incorrect. It should =Fv*Sa(Ta) =0.1 see NBCC2010 CL4.1.8.4 (7).

Actually the value that is used in calculations is correct but as you noticed the one displayed in the calculation note is wrong.

2. The base of my structure is at 461.2m (defined at z=461.2), The results of the force distribution come up wrong because the 1st storey is cacluated to be at 4.57m+461.2m above the base level. Is there any way to make 461.2m be the "base level" so static forces are distributed correctly (using the formula V*Wi*hi/(sumWh)

No, this is currently not possible. You may try to move the structure downwards so that its base is at Z=0m

3. I was wondering if there is any way to neglect the selfweight of the structure for this analysis? Currently the selfweight has been accounted for twice since I input the DL load case into the "load to mass conversion".

I have added the request for the neglect density option similar to the one available for the modal analysis to the wish list.

Thank you for focusing our attention to these points. 

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 8

Thanks for the response.

Message 7 of 8

The recognition of the definition of the base of the model has been introduced in SP2 for Robot 2014.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 8 of 8

Hi @CameronEC 

Introduced in RSA 2020.

If I managed to answer your question(s) press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solution(s) much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report