Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modeling complex walls

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
crackity96
1430 Views, 7 Replies

Modeling complex walls

Hello,

I want to model a "sandwich" wall which has two outer layers of thin reinforced concrete and a core layer of masonry.  How can be done? the overall thickness of the wall is  6cm rc concrete (layer1)+ 50cm masonry (layer 2) +  6cm rc concrete (layer1), overall thickness 82cm. Should I go for volumetric structure instead of planar finite elements?

Kostas Bourmpakis

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

I can think of 3 options:

1. Use a solid model

2. Use a shell model with 3 panels connected with rigid links

3. Use a shell model with a user defined orthotropic thickness

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 8

Thank you Mr. Kosakowski for your answer.

It is difficult for me to understand the procedure for the following option:

3. Use a shell model with a user defined orthotropic thickness

I dont see any option in the user defined for modelling 3 layers as composite.

Additional help please?

Message 4 of 8

Indeed such definition is not available directly but you may try to use this one instead:

user defined orthotropy.PNG

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 8

Sorry (it must be me) but I dont get it. 

How I ll find and enter the following values for 3 layers with different material?

·      membrane stiffness matrix D

·      bending stiffness matrix K

·      shear stiffness matrix H

Regarding the second solution of 3 panels connected with rigid links, is it enough with the rigid links on the border lines? does it calculate the material as continuous between the layers/panels? it performs as one element?

Finally what is a solid model. first time I ecounter it 

Message 6 of 8
crackity96
in reply to: crackity96

Since i am struggling to cope with this task, could someone be so kind and provide me a brief guidance

or an example (if it exist) regarding the modelling of a 3 layer wall composed from 2 external layers of reinforced concrete

and an internal (core) of masonry. I didn't expect it to be so complicated....

Kostas 

Message 7 of 8
crackity96
in reply to: crackity96

Come on.... there should be a champion in this forum to help me!

Message 8 of 8

I don't have the exact formulas for the stiffness matrix for such type of sandwich wall. You may try to search the web for something like this:

http://contrails.iit.edu/digitalcollection/1968/AFFDLTR68-150article17.pdf

On the other hand you may also consider the following approach if you find it acceptable:

1. Create a composite profile in the Section Builder of  Robot

2. Calculate its weighted properties

3. Define a new thickness with material and thicknness that matches the EA* value for the calculated section

4. Use the IY reduction to match EIz* value of the caclulated section

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report