Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modeling a bolt group

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
tanel96
1481 Views, 7 Replies

Modeling a bolt group

Hello

Anyway know of a good way to model a bolt group in ARSA ? I have a "lever" of two welded rectangular hollow sections connected to a timber beam and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get reactions for the connecting bolts.

Capture.PNG

Thank you,

Tanel

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Hi,

My personal suggestion is to model the whole structure in shell elements, simulating the real behaviour of the beams.

Pay attention to the torsion on timber support beam.

Greetings

PasProStudio

www.pasquiniprogetti.eu

Structural + Detailing engineers
Message 3 of 8

Hey

Good idea, however what would be the best approach to modeling the bolts? Using a 10mm diameter steel bar? Where would you put the support?

Thanks

Message 4 of 8

Hi,

yes, for bolts I would use a 10 mm diameter steel bar, keeping in mind that the real strength of bolts is much more higher than the simple steel.

Greetings and good luck, post your model image after you make it.

PasProStudio

www.pasquiniprogetti.eu

Message 5 of 8
tanel96
in reply to: tanel96

I changed the load-bearing structure a little bit: got rid of the timber member and added a vertical UPE80 instead. Robot is able to calculate this nicely - no instabilities. However this is probably not the best way to model a bolt, because currently the effects of the washer on one side and the nut on the other side are not taken into account. There are very large stress concentrations where the bar element meets the shell element. The upper bolt, which has the highest tension should spread it to larger area, because the head of the bolt is much larger than the shank of the bolt. Any ideas how to factor in the effect of the bolt head?

AutoCAD screenshot:

Screenshot.PNG

I modeled all the steel elements (UPE80 & RHS - rectangular hollow section) as shell elements with correct thicknesses. The 3 bolts are bar elements with a thickness to 10mm. I also added a rigid link (x-direction only) to simulate the contact between the bottom edge of the RHS and the UPE80.

3D view of connection:

FEM1.PNG

Side view showing the bolts and a rigid link (X-direction only)

FEM2.PNG

Stress concentration near the upper bolt. REASON: bolt head diameter is not taken into account.

FEM3.PNG

Message 6 of 8

Very nice work tanel96,

To solve the issue of the stress peak in the bolts connection you have only to select the option, in the parameter label of the map for panels, to "reduce the peack over the column head" and you will see that the stress will decrease.

Hope I helped you, step by step you will become a great structural modeller....

PasProStudio

www.pasquiniprogetti.eu

Message 7 of 8

"Reduce the peak..." switch had very little to no effect at all. So the question remains... how to model a bolt connection in Robot that would take into account the nut and washer (they are larger in diameter than the shank of the bolt and therefore distribute axial load onto a larger area). Also bear in mind, that the bolt works both in tension and in shear. In Abaqus for example, there is something called a "contact element" which enables to simulate this effect.

Message 8 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: tanel96

For such element types you may want to look at other Autodesk programs such as Nastran or Simulation Mechanical instead. 

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report