Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

meshing error, FE nodes remaining after mesh deletion, contuinual incoherence

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Opel5
4325 Views, 12 Replies

meshing error, FE nodes remaining after mesh deletion, contuinual incoherence

Afternoon All,

Well the model was coming along nicely, but I have now hit a bit of a brick wall. I have followed the recommended meshing options from previous threads, which flagged up incoherence. The panels causing the incoherence had no overlaps and could not be adjusted in shape to accomodate the meshing restrictions.

I then systematically tried all sorts of meshing combinations Coons, Delauney, different element shapes and mesh coarseness while ensuring enough coarseness to mesh over any tiny gaps between panels. Each time it kept flagging up different areas where there was mesh "incoherence" and kept refusing to mesh some zones in the first floor (see screenshot).

On deleting the FE mesh it keeps leaving random FE nodes. I then had to sift through the whole model trying to spot and manually delete these FE nodes. If I didn't follow this manual deletion process, when trying a new meshing option these nodes would be re-used and cause more mesh "inconsistencies".

My questions are:

1) Is there a way to remove these stray FE nodes that are left behind after mesh error and mesh deletion without having to manually sift through the model?

2) More importantly - Is there any meshing combination which will model the building without the meshing incoherence errors rearing up again?

Relevant screenshots attached and link to RTD file below:

https://www.filemail.com/dl.aspx?id=WMDYJBYZAMGNGGT

Many thanks for any expert guidance in this matter!

Scott

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Opel5
in reply to: Opel5

I have also tried local mesh generation (see screenshot) which works fine. The meshing error, legacy FE nodes following FE mesh deletion, and inconsistencies only occur when meshing the whole building.

Message 3 of 13
Opel5

I've fiddled a bit more with mesh combinations and found a new error, screenshot and mesh settings attached. I zoomed into the affected area and the panels seemed to be lined up fine. Is there an alternative mesh combination someone can recommend please? I'm guessing the incoherence, meshing errors, etc are not always a common occurance otherwise there would be a lot of grey haired weary engineers out there! 🙂 I can't detail reinforcement on this job until I get past this delightful issue.

Message 4 of 13
Rafal.Gaweda

Message 5 of 13
Opel5
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Excellent, thanks Rafal 🙂 I'll follow those steps

Message 6 of 13
Opel5

Hi Rafal,

Having a slight problem with the "Rounup" add-in. It crashes when I try to use it, and then crashes the Robot completely (see attached screenshots). Is there a new add-in version for Robot 2013?

Many Thanks,

Scott

Message 7 of 13
Rafal.Gaweda

Register \ Re-ergistsre robot or use xls files

Rafal Gaweda
Message 8 of 13
Opel5

I've tried rounding up just 2 panels, with the same crash occuring (attached)

Message 9 of 13
Rafal.Gaweda

Try this:

select panels, open this application, turn off Nodes and Objects, acivate Selected Panels, press Preview, run Round Up

Rafal Gaweda
Message 10 of 13
Opel5
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Thanks Rafal, un-registering and re-registering Robot entries seemed to fix the crash and model is running now 🙂

Message 11 of 13
Opel5

By the way, is there an add-in / macro for scanning through a model and deleting isolated nodes? That would save a great deal of time too, especially with meshing errors and FE nodes that remain after FE mesh deletion.

Message 12 of 13
Rafal.Gaweda

1. Some of then can be found by verification

isol.jpg

2. All of them by calculatuion engine:

nodisol1.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 13 of 13
AMRUTH.RAJ

One of the reasons where nodes remain even after performing 'Local mesh deleting' is due to performing improper analysis (improper wind simulation/description).

To delete remaining nodes, without affecting existing bar nodes can be done using 'Selection' tab.

1. Select all nodes from the model.

2. From 'Selection' window, select all bar elements (beam, column etc) and deduct all corresponding nodes of bar elements using arrow minus button

3. Unselect all bar elements

4. You are now left with only mesh nodes, press delete

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report