Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load History and Creep

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
pta_simon
1714 Views, 9 Replies

Load History and Creep

Does Robot consider creep when calculating deflections?

I am trying to simulate the deflections of a floor slab over a period of time to determine how it will affect the cladding panels. I have calculated the deflections due to cracking in the "slab - required reinforcement" RC design section but not sure if this is the best way to do this. Can you please suggest the best way to model these deflections?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: pta_simon

creep.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 10
pta_simon
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Rafal,

Thank you for highlighting this option. I had noticed the option previously, therefore I will reiterate my query.

I am looking to obtain deflection plots for multiple stages along the slab's load history (specifically, I require a deflection plot at initial loading, full loading and long term loading) however, I am unsure how to go about this.

Please could you provide guidance.

Message 4 of 10
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: pta_simon

Rather, you can not easily use the robot calculations.
For EC2 , Robot computes only the deflection for long term combinations with creep.
Creep is considered from time t0 to infinity.
Of course, if youmake QPR combinations manually entered creep factor as 0.0, you will get "momentary deflection", then calculate on the side manualy creep factor, enter to program and redesign then subtract deflections. You can do this multiple times until you are satisfied.

In general:
- For EC2 deflection is calculated for QPR combinations only
- 0.0 creep factor means the lack of creep because Ec,eff = Ec / (1 + fi)
- robot automatically calculated creep coeff is from t0 to inf.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 5 of 10
Jummybear

In general:
- For EC2 deflection is calculated for QPR combinations only

Can you explain about that? When I design somekind of plate I make some of ULs combinations and also 3 SLS: CHR, FRE and QP. When i run calculation i can select all of SLS combinations. Does it mean that Robot takes only QP SLS combination into account? For example i limit cracks by 0.3mm and deflection by 30mm, but i thought that robot pick the worst SLS combination to fulfill the criteria... Same question about verification with provided reinforcement. I can pick only 1 combination here nad if i pick not QP SLS then i get a message from Robot that there are no QP combinations and calculations may be incorrect. And true, just made an example with plate and i get sucj results:

Max plate displacements as elastic object (before req. reinforcement calculations): 6,8 mm

Max plate deflection for req reinforcement (there are also 3 SLS combinations, which one is picked for calc here, also QP?): 25,7 mm

Max plate deflection for prov. reinforcement (SLS CHR combination + robot message, that calculations may be incorrect): 6,3mm!!! Even less than in 1 case (elastic object)

Max plate deflection for prov. reinforcement (SLS FRQ combination + robot message, that calculations may be incorrect): 5,0mm!!! Even less than in 1 case (elastic object)

Max plate deflection for prov. reinforcement (SLS QP combination, no additional message from robot): 13,3mm. Seems to be OK.

If Robot calculate/verificate displacements for QP SLS combination only, then is there any other way to get real verifed displacements for provided reinforcement in Robot?

Message 6 of 10
Jummybear
in reply to: Jummybear

PS Related to this topic http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Robot-Structural-Analysis/deflection-smaller-in-a-heavier-loadcase/m-p... where last message is without answer. I have similar problem/question.
PPS Is it possible to edit own messages?
Message 7 of 10
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: Jummybear

According to EC code : 

EN 1992-1-1: 2004

7.4 Deflection control

7.4.1 General considerations

(4) The appearance and general utility of the structure could be impaired when the calculated

sag of a beam, slab or cantilever subjected to quasi-permanent loads exceeds span/250. The

sag is assessed relative to the supports. Pre-camber may be used to compensate for some or

all of the deflection but any upward deflection incorporated in the formwork should not generally

exceed span/250.

(5) Deflections that could damage adjacent parts of the structure should be limited. For the

deflection after construction, span/500 is normally an appropriate limit for quasi-permanent

loads. Other limits may be considered, depending on the sensitivity of adjacent parts.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 8 of 10
Jummybear

I know that, but sometimes i want to check not only QP SLS but CHA or FR. Robot dont provide calculations for that cases. Am i right that if i want to simulate any other SLS combination i must manually create SLS FR combination type and manually pick loads with needed coefficients (for example if i used 0.3 coef. for live load for QP then now i can try with 0.5?)

One more question about reinforcement maps dialog box (See pic.)

Its a simple example, harder with more complicated models. When i run calculations and get the results i can assign the reinforcement bars manually (i wonder if smb use automatically provided reinforcment by Robot). I try to turn req. reinforcement maps or whatever it is (circled box in my pic) to "helptool" but with no success. Is it possible to show in orange mesh 12-200 (and its area) and in red also mesh 12-200+additional bars for example 16-200? I cant combine that 2 thing in one row...

RC maps.JPG

Message 9 of 10

Hi @Rafal.Gaweda 

As the title indicates, @pta_simon wrote:

I am trying to simulate the deflections of a floor slab over a period of time to determine how it will affect the cladding panels.

I think the model should simulate loading time history. Let's say one have a 10-story building to design. The 5th floor need be reshored before pouring concrete for the 6th floor. The reshore and new concrete load will be supported by the 5th floor. This is assumed as construction load and will have its calculated deflection. Assume CMU partitions are installed on 5th floor after 3 months. The previous deflections will be excluded from the total deflection so this new calculated deflection will affect the CMU partition. How one can simulate these scenarios?

Try using ACI code.

Message 10 of 10

1628 views, no replies.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report