Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LCS of steel member dependent on strong/weak axis?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
TorgrimO
819 Views, 2 Replies

LCS of steel member dependent on strong/weak axis?

What determines the direction of Y/Z when defining a new profile in section definition? I am trying to define an H-beam with plates welded to the sides with the z axis pointing upwards in the same direction as the original web. When I look at the calc note the lcs is turned around 90 degrees compared to the original coordinate system when I started to draw the cross section.... It seems that it orientates the z-axis to be the weakest axis?

See attachment. The red arrows are the original coordinate system during drawing and the yellow ones is the new lcs after standardisation. I want these to LCS'es to be equal. 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: TorgrimO

Currently the Section Builder module always calculates section properties setting the principal axis in such way that Iy>Iz. The request for option that would allow for decision which axis is Y and which Z (rotating the originally assumed coordinate system by 90 deg) is on the wish list for new versions of Robot.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 3
TorgrimO
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

This was bad news. It makes it harder to work with defined sections and releases... 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report