Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Isolated nodes can not be deleted

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
mgaafar
6819 Views, 7 Replies

Isolated nodes can not be deleted

I am having a problem here, when verifying the model and stating there are isolating nodes, when I select the nodes and delete them, they are not deleted.

I tried to open the model in repair mode but with no use.

Also I noted when I select the isolated nodes from the verification windows, they are not highlighed on the screen, and even they can not be shown seperatly on separate windows.

and the model seems to have an error if I continue running. Please help.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: mgaafar

Please check the definition of linear releases. It seems that they you released too many d.o.fs which results in instability messages ( made the screen capture that illustrates the situation with a bar analogy - top node pinned connection and bottom node only in plane horizontal displacement restrained).

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 8
mgaafar

Thanks for the clarification, but I actually want to have the wall supported on the ends only and act as deep beam without intermediate support.

So the question again, why there are isolated nodes in the model that can not be viewed or deleted from the model?

Another question please, I tried to delete all other floors except typical precast floor, and I deleted all the linear releases of the panels and I am getting weird results as attached. Panel cut A1 bending moment is reversed!! and the bending moment values are very small!!

Also I tried to delete all the linear releases from the definition box but some of them can not be deleted so I am assuming they are being used in the model but I can not find them, when I show the linear release nothing appears!!?

Please help!

Thanks

Message 4 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski

Thanks for the clarification, but I actually want to have the wall supported on the ends only and act as deep beam without intermediate support.

So the question again, why there are isolated nodes in the model that can not be viewed or deleted from the model?

Linear releases are generated by means of DSC elements which means that additional calculation nodes are created to model the boundary conditions applied to a panel edge. The assumption is that both the 'standard' nodes generated during meshing and the calculation ones have something to be 'attached' to which are the panel you applied the linear releases to and the neighboring one. If there is no neighboring one or all d.o.fs are released this is no longer true and each model generation will created these isolated nodes again. You can either ignore them or model the shear walls in the alternative way e,g, in the way shown on the attached picture.

Another question please, I tried to delete all other floors except typical precast floor, and I deleted all the linear releases of the panels and I am getting weird results as attached. Panel cut A1 bending moment is reversed!! and the bending moment values are very small!!

I recommend to check the deformation first. As you can see in these locations the structure moves upwards. The reason is that surface load applied to the panel is in fact according to your decision transferred to the walls rather than applied to the floor. The deformation of the floor in such case is just the function of the deformation of the whole structure. Perhaps you should use orthotropic definition of panel thickness rather than use the  triangular and trapezoidal load distribution.

Also I tried to delete all the linear releases from the definition box but some of them can not be deleted so I am assuming they are being used in the model but I can not find them, when I show the linear release nothing appears!!?

They are 'kept' as a part of rtd file rather than model. If you e.g. copy the entire model to clipboard and paste it to a new project you will be able to delete them from the dialog.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 8
mgaafar

Thanks very much for the clarification, I did not know that going to one-way slab option will basically ignore the slab analysis and focus on the support in getting the loads to the support.

but that is good to know, thank you very much for your help.

Message 6 of 8
imatoric

I notice that someone have the same issue.
Im dealing with one 3D frame model and I have also the Isolated nodes I cant delete.

I also have instability warrnings: Instability type 3 in direction Rz.

But I dont have reason to suspect to such mode of instability.

Please advise

PS the model is 60mb big so i didnt want to put it here as attachment

Message 7 of 8
mgaafar
in reply to: imatoric

you can open the file in Repair mode and then zip the file and send it here as an attachement.

I am expecting that you have rotation instability in the support (fix the RZ for the support and it will ok)

Message 8 of 8
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: imatoric

PS the model is 60mb big so i didnt want to put it here as attachment

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/robot-structural-analysis/sending-bigger-files/td-p/3795062

Rafal Gaweda

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report