Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing RSA 2013 breaks Globe Link 2013 for Revit 2013

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Rotary1
604 Views, 13 Replies

Installing RSA 2013 breaks Globe Link 2013 for Revit 2013

Hello,

Installing RSA 2013 (without servicepack) seems to break Globe Link 2013 for Revit.2013

Before the installation of RSA2013 'Aquire from Google Earth' works perfectly in Revit.

After RSA2013 is installed when 'Aquire from Google Earth' is run in Revit, Google Earth zooms out and reports the following error.

toohigh.JPG

What can be done to fix this?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Rotary1

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2012/Help/Add_Ins/0000-Globe_Li0/0007-Use_Glob7/0008-Acquire_...

If the camera height exceeds 16,400 feet (5000 meters) or the camera is tilted down too much, a warning message displays recommending the view settings in Google Earth be adjusted.

Have you tried this?

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

P.S. I can hardly think of any way Robot could possibly influence Google Earth settings

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 14
Rotary1
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Hello,

Unfortunately this is not the issue. Aquiring from Google Earth to Revit via Globelink works perfectly before installing RSA 2013.

After RSA2013 is installed when running Aquire in Revit, Google Earth zooms out to max distance, waits a few seconds and then pops up the error message.

I think it has to do with RSA overwriting/changing some files or settings that are shared vith Revit and therefore changes something for the Globelink plugin.

This has been reproduced on all computers where this configuration has been deployed (90+ machines) and makes them unable to use the Globelink plugin.

I also tried running our deployment packages manually and the same error occurs.

Message 4 of 14
Artur.Kosakowski

Could you check what happens when you re-install the plugin? Is it the same when you install Robot first and then Revit + plugin?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 14
Rotary1

Reinstalling the plugin does not help.

Tried uninstalling RSA2013, this made the Globelink 'Aquire' feature work again!

Will try and see if installing RSA2013 before Revit 2013 makes any difference.

Message 6 of 14
Rotary1

Hello,

Installing RSA2013 first, and Revit 2013 + Globelink afterwards gives the same result as installing it the other way around, i.e the 'Aquire' function bugs out.

Message 7 of 14
Artur.Kosakowski

Thank you for making this test. I have made mine too for the following configuration

1. Robot 2013

2. Revit 2013

3. Google Earth v.5.0 as suggested by the description of the link

Globelink.PNG

There is no problem with the Acquire functionality caused by Robot being installed too.

Could you run the attached batch (save the file > unzip it > change from *.txt to *.bat) and send the generated files please?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 8 of 14
Rotary1

Hello,

The files were too big to be attached. Will try and send them to you in private.

We are running Google Earth 6.0.2.2074.

According to http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2012/Help/Add_Ins/0000-Globe_Li0/0001-Introduc1/0002-Globe_Li... the last version checked for compability is 6.1.0.5001.

We also tried adding the version we run to GEVersions.dat as described but this did not make any difference.

Also, Google Earth/Globelink works fine without RSA2013 installed.

Versions that we use:

RSA2013 (no servicepack)

Revit 2013 UR2

Globelink 20120307_1515

Google Earth 6.0.2.2074

Message 9 of 14
Artur.Kosakowski

I was not able to find Google Earth 6.0.2 installation on the web therefore I installed Google Earth 6.0.3 instead. As previously inm my case there is no problem to use the Acquire tool when Robot 2013 is installed.

Could you make a small movie that shows your workflow till the error is displayed please? Perhaps there is something I do differently.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 10 of 14
Artur.Kosakowski

I have made additional research and the link works in the following way:

When Acquire command is invoked, GlobeLink add-in will call Google Earth API to get the current view of Google Earth, then check if its Range > HeightLimit, if it’s true, the warning message will tell users to zoom in Google Earth view manually and try again. The HeightLimit in code is 5000.

I am not sure if you tried to zoom in after the warning occurred, or the Acquirement could zoom out automatically after installing RSAPRO 2013?

Generally zooming in Google Earth view should resolve this kind of issues. In addition, you may try to restore Google Earth configuration as the default before zooming in.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 11 of 14
Rotary1

Hello Artur,

I have sent a video with the workflow in private to you.

Message 12 of 14
Artur.Kosakowski

What happens when after the 'automatic' zooming out you zoom in and run Acquire again?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 13 of 14
Rotary1

Hello,

The same issue repeats itself over and over if I try and zoom in again.

I tried uninstalling RSA2013 and the aquire starts working again.

Message 14 of 14
Artur.Kosakowski

I'm sorry but we are not able to reproduce this situation on any of our test computers therefore I can't tell what could cause that conflict.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report